Chapter 2

Chapter 2

*Victoria*

After the game, we wait for the stands to mostly clear before heading down to the locker rooms. As we round the corner, my eyes lock on to Aaron's familiar figure. He stands outside talking to two girls. The girls smile as they occasionally touch his arm or lean in closer to him. He smiles back, obviously welcoming the flirtation. I guess some things never change. Aaron will always be that guy. I wish I could walk over there and warn those girls of the type of guy he really is. I don't want any girl to get their heart broken the way mine was.

"You okay?" Colton asks, taking my hand and intertwining our fingers. "You're being so quiet."

"I'm fine." I give him a reassuring smile.

"Donovan!" Nadine yells, waving her arm in the air. A guy waves back and I assume he's Donovan. He's tall with dark skin and short hair. He's muscular, obviously fit for the sport. He meets Nadine with a hug and a kiss on the cheek. "Guys, this is Donovan. Donovan, this is my roommate slash best friend, Victoria, and her boyfriend Colton."

"It's nice to meet you guys." He says with a smile. "Nadine talks a lot about her friends. I feel like I practically know you already." Nadine blushes and I smile. In the time I've known her, she hasn't been in a relationship. Of course she's had a crush or two here and there, but it's nice to see her happy with someone. "So are you both coming to the party too?"

"Party?" I ask.

"Yeah, a couple of the guys like to throw a victory party after we win."

"That sounds fun, right guys?" Nadine asks, her face hopeful. She obviously wants to go, but she knows I'm not really into parties, though I'm becoming used to them. In college, someone is always throwing a party.

"Yeah." I smile and nod. "It sounds great."

"Hey Victoria." A cold shiver runs down spine as I turn to see Aaron. He gives me a small smile. His hands are tucked in his pocket and his shoulders are slightly hunched. Colton squeezes my hand and I glance up to see he's glaring at Aaron. "Did you watch the game?"

"Yeah. Congrats on the win. You guys were great." Why is he speaking to me? I thought we agreed to go our separate ways after we talked.

"You going to the party, Evans?" Donovan asks Aaron.

"I wouldn't miss it."

"We're heading there now, want to come?" Aaron looks at me and Colton and I wait for his response. "Yeah, sure."

We catch the subway to where the party is taking place. Colton and Donovan talk about sports, instantly becoming friends over the subject. Aaron sits near them, but only engages in the conversation when Donovan asks him a question.

"How do you know that guy?" Nadine asks me. The two of us sit two seats down from the boys, the train too crowded for us to all sit together.

"He's my ex." I shrug. "That's all."

"Come on, there has to be more to it than that! Have you noticed that he keeps staring at you? He must still have a thing for you. Did you break his heart or something?"

I wished that was the outcome many times. I used to wish that it was me who tore his heart out so that mine wouldn't hurt so much. Instead I allowed him to have a hold over me a year after he tore my heart out.