Chapter 81

-

I jumped to my feet as Daryl, Abraham, and Sasha walked in.

I hugged them all before Denise walked over to me.

"Let's get that leg checked out." She stated.

I nodded before following her over to the far side of the infirmary.

She pulled the curtain, allowing me some privacy as I pulled my jeans down.

"Holy shit, Sam." She muttered, looking at my thigh after she unwrapped the gauze.

"That bad?" I asked.

"What have you been doing? It's so infected, holy shit." She replied.

I looked down at it, finding fresh blood and dried blood all around it, the outer part was blue and red, and the inside was almost black.

"Lay down." She ordered before putting a thermometer under my tongue.

"You have a slight fever, 101.2. That's from the infection. We need an IV stat." She declared.

"I don't understand how you're even walking." She added, getting all of her supplies.

"We really don't have to do this right now, you need to keep an eye on Carl." I replied, raising up.

"Sam, this is serious. You could lose your leg if we don't do something right now." She replied, pushing me back down.

She wiped down my arm with alcohol before finding a vein in my arm.

"If I didn't know what actually happened, I'd think you were bit." She continued, taking the old stitches out.

"This is going to hurt." She replied, getting a syringe.

I fought the urge to throw up as she began pulling the infection from my thigh.

"Sam, oh my God!" Tara exclaimed as she walked over.

"Why'd you let it get that bad?" She asked.

"I don't know, I didn't think I did. Everything's been chaos lately, and I've put it off." I answered.

"Is she going to be okay?" Tara asked Denise.

"I hope so. This is an extremely bad infection." Denise replied.

I groaned before putting my arm over my eyes.

"I don't want you to put any pressure on this leg until it's a hundred percent better." Denise stated, still pulling infection out of my leg.

I put my arm back down to my side, Rick now in the corner with us.

After Denise got all the infection she could, she began sterilizing the wound before stitching it back up.

"I'm gonna keep this IV going until tonight, and give you another round of it tomorrow. This is a really good antibiotic, it should get the infection out in about two days. Then, we will have to worry about the therapy part of it when you're healed." Denise explained.

"If you have to get up, use these. Do not put any pressure on this leg." She ordered, leaning crutches up against the bed.

"Why'd you let it get that bad?" Rick asked, pulling my hair out of my face.

"I didn't mean to, I've just been dealing with everything going on first." I answered, Tara and Denise leaving me alone with him.

"Stop putting yourself last." He replied.

"I'll always put myself last if that means everyone else will be okay. Like today, when Carl got shot- the last thing I was thinking about was my leg. When we were fighting the walkers, all I was thinking about was getting all of you to safety." I explained.