Chapter 7

There wasn't a word spoke since we had started moving from my footpath, seemed as if we were angry at each other over something. I knew the truth. I knew we weren't, we were just comfortable with one another's silence. We both were entirely aware that there needn't be anything spoken either, and that would be okay. "Where are we going?" I murmured almost inaudible to my own ears.

"Jeep." Was all he simply stated in a manner as if I should have already known, like I shouldn't have been as silly to even ask? While getting lost in the action of dragging my shoes along the pavement, I was so far behind him I attempted to keep up with him. But I couldn't keep up with myself, never mind him.

"And, where is the jeep taking us?" I stumbled over my rush to get the words out of my mouth. I knew deep down the hesitation was not out of fear. I wasn't afraid of him, I was just curious of just him. Maybe a little bit nervous, but scared, I was not.

"A destination." Was all he managed to release with a smirk pulling at the corner of his lips. He knew how to irritate me, and that was all he was interested in doing for this moment in time. I realised that I wasn't going to be offered nor given an explanation, 'destination' if you will. So, I done what most girls can't do, I shut up, no matter how much my curiosity pulled at me. I knew losing my patience would be the worst option out of the two.

I attempted to climb into the jeep, but my clumsiness seemed to deprive me of that plan. Instead, I felt two hands securely grab my elbows and hoist me clean onto the seat. The door gently closed behind me before I could even usher a 'thank you', Trey was in the seat beside me. This realisation only came about when I heard the roar of the engine come to life.

"Where exactly are we going?" I tried again because but to no avail. Maybe, I couldn't shut up as easily as I thought. He just grunted in response. I decided to sit back and lay my head against the soft head rest, I knew I wasn't going to get a reply. So I stopped trying. We drove for a while. I couldn't even put a time frame on it. I didn't feel like it was real. It felt like I was just sailing through the experience out of my own body. My mother had basically just told me she didn't care about me, I didn't matter. I knew everyone had someone that they would strive to live for and I just wasn't hers.

It hurt.

At the same time, Trey had realised that I wasn't currently living in a blacked out house. Possibly, he put the pieces together and realised that it wasn't just today I was living in a blacked out house. I could feel the jeep start to slow but my heart took an opposite reaction. It thumped and thumped and thumped.

This is it.

I thought to myself, this is how my life ends, I have a heart attack and then I'm no one's problem. However, I could never be that lucky. It would never be that easy.

I jumped up and looked around trying to drink in my surroundings and my heart stopped, I knew my surroundings. I had been here before. The familiar pale yellow house caught my eye. I shot my head in Trey's direction, my eyes narrowed at his penetrating stare.

"What are we doing here?" My voice was alien to my own ears, I somehow sounded mad, betrayed even. I couldn't myself figure out why. Maybe, I was jealous that he had a true family, and I didn't.

He ignored my question, not that I was surprised, it's like a trait he has. "Come on." He said instead of answering me. I stayed rigid, suddenly I felt my hand clench the door handle harder. I felt like I wasn't even present for my own body movements.

"No." I intended it to come out firm with power behind it, but instead, my answer came as more of a whisper. As if I wasn't sure what I wanted my answer to be. He said nothing, just slammed the driver door shut and started walking towards the front door. I hung my head in shame, maybe I shouldn't have been so mean. It was like sometimes I couldn't even stop myself, I never try and purposely be a mean person, but it comes out that way. Unexpectedly, I heard the creak of the passenger door as it was being ripped open.