Chapter 6

The bus stopped at a small stretch of local businesses in the somewhat dismal city of Clarksville, about an hour away from the school. 

"So this is were you live," Miren admired, taking in the environment. "It's humble."

"Not everyone who goes to St. Rosemunde is drowning in dollars," Chara informed her, bringing her maroon backpack to her shoulders.

"I know," Miren agreed. She definitely wasn't. Maybe that's why it sucked so badly. Money wasn't evil. But the stuck-up students of St. Rosemunde were.

In contrast to the dull town, the sky was gleaming. However, Miren felt a chill trail down her back. Why does the rest of the universe get to be happy?

"My house is only a short walk from here," Chara said. "Whatcha wanna do now?"

"Die," Miren mumbled. It would be the easier option. Now that they were out on the main streets, she was beginning to rethink her decision to come here.

"What?" Chara piped after a while, running her fingers through her long jet-black hair.

Miren shook her head. "Nothing." But they had to do something. She turned to the girl. "What do you suggest we do?"

Chara's lips puckered as if Miren's words left a funny taste her mouth. "I don't know. I guess I'm just along for the ride."

Miren sighed again. Maybe she shouldn't have enlisted in the help of a sophomore. Or people in general.

Chara's face fell; she didn't mean to offend her. "Sorry, I say stupid things when I'm hungry." She rubbed her flat belly. "I had to skip lunch to finish my English paper."

"What did I tell you about procrastinating—" Miren stopped herself, an idea clicking. She hadn't eaten either. "Why don't we sit down at a restaurant and talk about this? Your pick." There she was, giving power again to an underclassman.

Chara nodded, accepting her challenge. She put her index finger to her cheek, contemplating this not so difficult decision. "Okay, I choose..." she spun around childishly, as if she were selecting a Pokémon. "There!" She stopped in place, pointing at a building a block over.

"There?"

"There."

Miren opened her mouth to object, before shrugging her shoulders passively. "Sure, let's go to Rockin' Robby's Retro Diner." There was a bit of enmity in her tone. "I was going for somewhere a bit more subdued."

"What? It's fun," Chara offered, motioning to the red, neon lights. "And Starbucks isn't a restaurant."

"I'm not feeling very fun." Miren said, however, starting in the direction of the restaurant. "And you know I can't afford Starbucks."

**

Orders were placed and the two sat across from each other in a booth. Old music records, girls in poodle-skirts, and famous entertainment icons from a past generation gave the walls character. A polished jukebox stood in the corner, playing Elvis music on a loop. The classic black and white checkered floor, soft pink, teal, red decor, and flashy neon signs gave the diner a dated, but somehow refreshing feel.

Chara tapped her fingers against the wooden table. Miren stared ahead, her eyes unnaturally still against a promotional poster for Grease.

"Reach any conclusions?" Chara asked, growing a bit uninterested with the whole ordeal. This run away thing wasn't as fun as it seemed before. And Rockin' Robby's Retro Diner wasn't as rocking as it sounded. She blew out the lackluster air, feeling it slide off her lips.