Catching Christina... Literally

"You're so adorable when you're angry."  I whisper in her ear.

Her face is beet red and she looks down at the ground. Finally, she looks back up at me. I push stray pieces of hair out of her face.

"Listen, Christina, I have to ask you something."

"Okay!" she says happily.

I think she knows what I'm gonna say.

I take a deep breath.

"Christina Andrews, will you...."

But I'm cut off by a sound coming from the woods. I hear twigs snapping and leaves rustling.

O no. It's probably Mike, or the police, or Mrs. Grawling, or....

A loud crashing sound comes directly from the woods behind the tree Chrissy and I are sitting in. We both turn around at the same time.

And we both see a bear, viciously roaring in our direction.

O.My.God.

Thank God I'm a BoyScout.

"Alright, Chrissy," I whisper close to her ear, "No sudden movements. We are going to climb up to higher branches in the tree. Let's go."

"Okay."

I can tell she's nervous by the way she twirls her hair around her finger.

"Okay lets try to reach that branch up there. You go in front of me." I point to a sturdy-looking branch about 7 feet up.

She nods at me, but before I can begin to climb, she grabs my hand. It's shaking with nervous energy.

"It's okay, Chrissy. I gotcha."

She steps onto the branch right above us and continue climbing. I can see her reach the next branch safely. I keep an eye on the bear, who is walking on all fours towards the tree we are hiding in. It reaches the tree, and claws at the tree trunk.

O no.

We need to pick up the pace, but Christina's labored breathing tells me not to push her.

While I'm thinking about what I should do, Christina has been climbing higher and higher up the tree and I'm now a good eight feet below her. 

And the bear is only a couple branches below me.

O my gosh, o no.

Then, the unthinkable happens.

She is reaching for the last branch when her foot slips, and just like that she's plummeting towards the ground.

She screams bloody murder, her limbs flailing and hitting branches as she goes down.

I stretch out my arms to try and catch her.

She lands in my lap with a thud and instantly buries her face into my neck, sobbing.

Thank you, God.

The bear growls below us, reminding us of the danger at hand.

We are only 7 feet up.

I guess we're gonna jump.

"Chris, we're gonna jump."

Her head whips around. "What?!?!??! Are you insane? We'll die!"

"No we won't. We just have to trust God will protect us."

"Okay. On the count of 3?"

"Okay. 1-2-3!"

I jump off, and land safely on the ground.

She doesn't jump.

"Christina!" I yell angrily.

"I can't just jump off a tree!"

"I'll catch you!"

She rolls her eyes. "I'm too heavy!"

"JUST JUMP OUT OF THE STINKIN TREE!"

She closes her eyes, takes a deep breath, and jumps.

She lands safely in my arms.

"I told you I'd catch you. Now, why don't we run away from that bear over there."

"Okay," she says as she hops out of my arms, "Let's do this thing."

Then we sprint out of the woods, towards the city of Freehold, New Jersey.

A/N: so matt is about to ask Christina out but then BAM! a bear arrives on the scene. at least they escape safely but where will they stay? btw im so so so sorry its kinda dragged out. I wasn't sure how to condense it. stay tuned for answers in the next chapter. PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT. it means the world to hear your feedback about my story :D

thanks for reading!!!!!! -marierosa13 **Titus 2:8**