Chapter 62

"You did what!" Nico yelled!

He was laid out on a old army cot in the corner of the room with his arm was in plaster and his body still covered in fresh scars. Jacques unapologetically shrugged and said, "You lied to us - you never told us she was pregnant."

Nico rolled his and tried to turn over in bed to face Jacques, but winced in pain once he began to move. Cursing loudly he snapped, "You two idiots would've never brought her here if I'd told you the truth."

I glanced over at Casper who was sitting on the opposite side of the room, staring blankly at the wall. When we had arrived back at the secret base, which was a deconsecrated chapel on the out skirts of Port Cressida, Jacques had wasted no time in filling him in on the tiny detail that Nico had failed to mention. Upon hearing the news Casper went into shock and stumbled into the nearest chair. With his head in his hands he muttered incoherently to himself, while Jacques and Nico continued to bicker.

"I can't believe you made a deal with her!" Nico yelled.

Jacques folded his arms across his chest and said, "I don't know why you're making a big deal out of it! She's agreed to co-operate with us - isn't that better than treating her like a hostage?"

"Idiot! She is our hostage. We took her to prove Casper's innocence! With her gift we can find out who the true killer is!" Nico argued.

Jacques opened his mouth to disagree, but from across the room Casper was snapping out of his catatonic state. Lifting his head out of his hands he looked to me and said, "You're pregnant?"

From the other side of the room Nico groaned loudly and yelled at Jacques, "See what you've done! You've broken him!"

Calmly I stepped in and said, "He's not broken - he's in shock. And I don't know why you would prefer me as a hostage than an ally. I can help you guys, but I refuse to be bullied or intimidated into doing things that I don't want to do, or I can't do."

Nico looked at me and replied, "That right there is the problem... Mia, you want to march to the beat of your own drum but know absolutely nothing. You have no idea where start or what to do - you're just a baby vampire with an incredible gift and no clue how to use it."

Biting my tongue I grabbed my bag and pulled out the old queen's journal and opened it to the last entry. Marching across the room I thrust it under his nose and said, "Read."

Nico's eyes widened as he read the entry and he gasped, "Where did you find this?"

Smugly I replied, "Well, Mr Ye of No Faith, it turns out that Queen Rhoda had a hidden study attached to my reading room. And guess who found it."

From across the room, Casper abruptly stood up and staggered across the room. "Wait, you found my mother's diary?"

He walked over to where Nico was laying, and it was only then when he drew closer did I notice the sadness and pain etched into his handsome face. Suddenly he seemed older and more melancholy, like the mere mention of his mother had aged him by ten years. His arctic blue eyes glassed over and he whispered, "What did she write?"

"She believed in your innocence, Casper," I said, putting my hand lightly on his shoulder.

"What?" he muttered in disbelief and then grabbed the diary from Nico's hands and read the journal entry for himself. "She believed in me... Oh, mother."

Turning away from us he retreated back into his dark corner clutching his mother's journal tightly to his chest. I couldn't imagine what he must have felt right now after spending so many years alone in dark dank windowless cell, believing that his parents gone to their graves believing that he was a murderer. Jacques walked forward to go after him, but I grabbed his arm and said, "Give him a few moments to let it sink in."