epilogue

epilogue

MY RIGHT LEG couldn't stop moving up and down as I peeked out the window of my airplane and saw geometric shape after geometric shape. My heart was pumping so fast, almost too fast for my body to handle, but I couldn't stop it. I didn't want to stop it, I mean.

I had never been on a plane before, hence my nervousness, but I had also never been to New York City. I couldn't tell which one made my blood flow more.

"Nervous?" The man to my left brought my attention away from the window and into his eyes. He was wearing a warm smile and tilted his head to the side ever so slightly. His glasses frames his eyes and perfectly contrasted against his dark skin. He looked to be in his mid-thirties; sporting a wedding ring on his left hand.

"A little." I answered honestly and shoved my hands underneath my thighs as my shoulders crept their way up to my ears.

"I remember my first time flying." He chuckled and pushed his magazine to the side slightly. "I was seven or eight, I can't remember, and my mom and I didn't sit next to each other. I was so scared that I had to hold onto this girl's hand the whole time. She was a teenager and I think that was the first time I fell in love."

I laughed and scratched the side of my neck. That's sweet. I cleared my throat and looked in my lap for a second before looking back up at him.

"Are you on vacation?"

"Uh, yeah." I nodded my head and smiled at him. I didn't think he would continue the conversation, but he did. "I'm going to visit a really good friend."

"Oh, that sounds nice." He pursed his lips and nodded his head as he skimmed over the magazine in his hands. "First time in New York City?"

I smiled and nodded my head.

"That's exciting." His voice was so deep that it calmed my earlier quick heartbeat.

I awkwardly nodded my head and turned my attention back to the window, only to see that all the tall buildings of New York City were visible. I exhaled deeply and turned my head to the side. That city is magical.

As soon as the plane landed, I whipped out my phone to see the time. Eleven thirty-eight in the morning. Sure, we were eight minutes late for our scheduled arrival, but I still had so much time to spend in this beautiful city.

However, as soon as I could get out into the aisle and grab my suitcase from the top compartment, I had to wait for a good amount of time before I could finally walk off. Jesus, people really do take their damn old time.

I practically ran off the plane. I felt a little dizzy and lightheaded, but that wasn't going to stop me from smiling. I exited the gate and looked around for a familiar face. It was so crowded at the airport that I could barely even move my body, so I started to get a little nervous. Can she see me? Am I too hidden?

"Ashley!" I heard someone shout to my left, causing my head to snap in that direction.

There she was. My beautiful, beautiful girl. She was wearing brown sandals, army green jeans, and a long, flowy white blouse that I bought her a couple years ago. Her hair, that was now died red, was braided beautifully in two long Dutch braids.

I walked towards her, dragging my suitcase behind me, and stopped when we both met up with each other. We didn't even get a chance to look at each other because we went straight for a hug. I felt like my ribs were almost crushed, but I'll let her do whatever she wants. I miss her so, so much.

We pulled away and both laughed.

"Oh, May." I clicked my tongue and rested my hand on her cheek. She grabbed my hand and pulled it away, then kissed the palm and brought both our arms down. My heart pounded against my chest as she wrapped her fingers around the back of my neck and pulled my lips in to meet hers.

My stomach exploded.

"I've been wanting to do that for a long time." She whispered.

"Didn't we just see each other?" I teased.

"What?" She shot. "Like, eight months ago. That's not recent." She stood with her hands on her hips and her lips pursed.

"I meant on FaceTime, you dummy."

"Oh, God." May rolled her eyes and slipped her hand into mine as we walked towards the exit sign in the airport. While we stood on the escalator, May couldn't stop staring at me.

"What?" I smiled.

"Oh, nothing." She shook her head and squeezed my hand. "I just missed you." She sniffed. "A lot."

"I missed you too, babe." I brushed my thumb along her hand and stared into her beautiful brown eyes.

We stepped off the escalator and continued to hold hands until we walked outside and all the sirens met our ears. Before we called a taxi, May turned around and kissed me again.

"That's for being the love of my life."

May put her hand up and flicked my arm with intense force.

"Ow!"

"And that's for leaving me for eight months." She stuck her nose in the air.

"You left me!" I chuckled. "I'm the one that stayed back in California."

"Whatever." She laughed and wrapped her arms around my neck. I didn't care if anyone was watching or disapproved of us, we've already gotten that earlier in our relationship. We were just here to be happy. "I love you so much, Ashley James."

"I love you, too." I pressed my lips against hers. We separated for a second so I could say, "You're the best thing that's ever happened to me." We kissed again but May couldn't stop giggling, so I stopped.

"Now we're on chapter two hundred and four."

"Oh, yay." I said sarcastically and rolled my eyes. "I just love how you keep track."

"Two hundred and five?" She bit her lip and tilted her head to the side.

"Now you're just making up rules."

"No, you're the one who made up all those rules! I always follow them!" She giggled. "It's not my-"

I kissed her just to get her to shut up. But, also, because I'm madly in love with her and I can't help myself sometimes. Also because I'm always right (and we're actually on chapter two hundred and eight, but I always tell her she's the right one, because, come on, would you just look at her dimple?).

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I'm not happy with this (I'd rather just leave the end on Chapter Thirty) but I had to give you all something or else the guilt would keep following me around! Sorry it's so rushed and just... Idk. I'll probably change it later when I have the time. But, for now, I need to post this. I hope you like it.

Now the rest of the story is for you to create. And, why do you think they were apart for so long?

(What do you guys think about a one shot contest?)