Chapter 5

A/N here's another update :) It's final weeks and i have been studying  nonstop for finals. Now it is finally spring break <3 

My cousins and I walk into the office, not daring to break the already tensed silence that engulfs us as we walk in. We separate and sit closely to our parents. Uncle Leonardo sits in his leather armchair before glancing at us.

"Let's head towards the living room actually." He decides after he notices how crammed we are in his room, which can hold around five people comfortably. "But first, Celeste and Roman, sit down." He gestures to the two leather chairs across from him. Celeste and Roman exchange looks with our cousins and me. We offer shrugs before leaving them with our uncle inside the room.

All of us walk stiffly to the living room, not really knowing what to expect. I've never been to a family meeting. Most of my cousins, with the exception of Lia, Niccolo, and Lorenzo, has never attended a family meeting either. Still, this is a meeting with everyone, even our younger cousins. That is, after Celeste and Roman get "debriefed."

I make eye contact with Robin, who mirrors my tight, confused expression. Any idea? I raise an eyebrow at him. He merely shrugs, None whatsover. At least, that's how I interpret the shrug. 

By this time, the sun has set and the ceiling lights create a dim, cozy setting in the living room. We manage to fit the fifteen of us onto the couches. There's five couches, each seating at least three comfortably. In another time and place, I would have believed the excess amount of couches were unnecessary. However, our family gathered altogether so my uncles rented a larger vacation house.

I glance at everyone around us, my eyes roaming for any hint to what will occur. My aunts and uncles appear to be normal. There's a nice ambiance but I can see the thin layer of tension. I am still unsure what to expect. 

Finally, Leonardo walks in with our youngest cousins. Celeste seems unimpressed while Roman looks relieved. Roman has always been a bit short tempered and impatient.

"Now that everyone is here, it's time to begin." Leonardo continues. 

"Well, what are you waiting for? If you don't tell them, then I will." Dante interrupts, saying what I'm thinking.

"It's a long story. This will take some time to tell." Leonardo seems unfazed as he responds calmly. I always observe in awe at how calm Leonardo appears as he interacts with the family. For the boss of a chaotic Family, he sure handles it well. I would have snapped long ago.

"As an update, since I know some of us have not heard the family talk since they graduated from high school but there used to be four big families who controlled the nation: the Gagliardi family, Robustelli family, Sapienti family, and finally ours, the Ricca family. Then, the three families were wiped out because of a man named Alfredo Acerbi. However, after some dealings with the Acerbis, they are nothing more than a memory. The Gagliardi, Robustelli, and Sapienti continue to exist despite Acerbi's efforts. The four of us coexist under a shaky alliance, but alliance nevertheless. The foe we are going against does not fall under any of the families, but each of us have had dealings with him in the past. He's part of an organization that many of you have heard of. I will go more into that afterwards."

"All choices and decisions come with consequences and responsibilities." He pauses, "In our youth, we made multiple tough decisions--many of which may have been reckless and impulsive of us." My uncles chuckle at this statement, but it quickly dies. 

"We have not dealt with this man in a very long time. He went underground and has been keeping a low profile for many years now. We have recently received news of him resurfacing and there is word that the Ricca family is next on his hit list."