Chapter Seven

The slight tapping on a window alerted Eleanor as she sat in the living room upstairs working on the knitted vest. She glanced up from her work and saw Dermot impatiently tapping on the window. She smiled as she set her work aside and arose. Opening the window, Dermot dropped the letter and hopped inside.

"Hello Dermot, did you have a nice flight?" she asked. The owl just stared at her before letting out a small hoot.

"Yes, I know you want a tip." Eleanor said grabbing the letter off the ground. "Unfortunately, I have nothing on me right now. I'm sorry." She ran her hands over the owl's backside but Dermot quickly turned his head and nipped her.

"Ow! Dammit Dermot!" she said rubbing her hand. "You know, that really freakin' hurts! At least I said I was sorry!"

She cursed the owl under her breath as she began to open up the letter. It was from Cedric and Marnie who were enjoying a nice long vacation in France. She was surprised they had chosen the location in the first place since neither one of them could speak a word of French, but Eleanor didn't question it. As long as her two best friends were happy and together, she was perfectly fine. Although, she had to admit, she missed them quite a bit.

She left to the bedroom and flopped onto the bed with the letter in hand. She was reading over where Cedric explained that he had taken Marnie to a very fancy and expensive restuarant so she could try escargot as she had requested. However, it was Marnie who had no idea what escargot actually was and freaked out when a plate of snails was brought out. Cedric's description of Marnie spitting out the snail dramatically into a folded napkin made Eleanor laugh heartily.

"I know knitting can't make you laugh that hard." Fred's voice called out.

"You'd be surprised, it's put me in stitches before." Eleanor grinned at him as he walked into the room.

The couple just looked at each other before Fred chuckled. "Alright, I'll admit that was clever. But what really has you laughing?" he asked sitting on the bed.

"Marnie and Cedric's adventures in France. Apparently, she tried escargot and it did not end well."

Fred made a face. "Oooh I think I would be Marnie in that situation, don't think I would be a fan of snails."

"I wouldn't be able to get passed the fact that they are still in shells...I think snails are actually kinda cute." Eleanor admitted.

"You think snails are cute?"

"Yes...you know...they have a little shell and scoot around." she said. Fred pressed his lips together to keep from laughing but Eleanor saw him ready to crack. "It's cute!" she argued.

"I didn't say it wasn't!"

Fred sat up against the headboard as Eleanor rested into his side as she continued to read the letter out loud. The two shared in laughter at several of Cedric's explanations of the mishaps the two encountered. When Eleanor finished the letter, she set it on the night stand and then curled back up into Fred.

"Ellie, I have to head back downstairs, you know? And.." he yawned.

Eleanor smiled to herself as she wrapped her arms about him tighter.

"I'm not taking a nap with you, the shop..." he yawned again. "Ellie..."

She waited quietly until several minutes went by and Fred didn't say anything. She peered up to see that Fred had fallen asleep.

"I win."

She allowed him to continue sleeping as she slid out of the bed slowly. She carefully tiptoed out of the room and closed the door behind her. She grabbed her knitting supplies and headed down to the shop.

"Where in the world is Fred?" George asked her.

"Taking a nap." she said.

"A nap?"

"Yes. He fell asleep."

"He fell asleep?"

"Yes and if you wake him up, I'll end you George." she replied casually as she walked behind the counter to continue working.

"He needs to be working-"

Eleanor looked up at him. "Whatever you want him to do, I will. He needs a nap, you two are always working. You're lucky I'm not forcing you to take a nap right now."

"You can try!" he challenged but as soon as she rose to her feet, he hid behind a shelf.

Verity laughed from where she stood behind the counter as George grumbled something and walked away.

"How's the vest coming along?" she asked Eleanor.

Eleanor held up her work, "I'm nearly finished."

"Wow," Verity walked over, " how do you knit so fast?"

"I've been knitting for a long time, Ver. It's easier than breathing to me."

"That's amazing. You know, instead of just selling the products here...you could open up your own clothing line."

Eleanor pondered the thought for a moment. "You think? I don't know how many people would just wear knitted stuff-"

"Oh no, but your clothing looks great. I love the jumper you made me, it fit perfectly. My mum was asking me the other day where I got it, and my sister wants one too. Even without the magic that goes into them, they're quite stylish. You should consider it."

"You know what...maybe I will."