Chapter 27: Uncommitted

“What you seek is seeking you.” 

― Rumi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything you treasure is in danger, especially the one thing you’ve recently come to acquire.

“Recently come to acquire…?” I trailed off, before horror and understanding dug its claws into me, clogging my throat and freezing my blood in my veins.

I looked down at Remy.

“R-Remy?” I asked, horrified. “The-they’re talking about Remy!?

Nathan placed his hands on my cheeks and made me look at him.

Nothing is going to happen. Do you understand?”

His eyes gleamed a fiery green, ripping through my terror and offering me a measure of peace. I jerked my head in a nod, reflexively clutching Remy closer, but the baby boy didn’t even stir.

“I’m going to your room-”

“No. Nathan, no.” I said.

“Listen. I need proof that it happened. I’m going to take a picture of it-”

No.”

“I’ll go with him.” Jeff said.

“That doesn’t make it any better!”

Sara placed her hand on my shoulder.

“They’re going to be okay.” she said in a low voice.

I took a deep breath and nodded. I felt Grey come up behind me, taking my elbow by his arm.

“Come on, Indy.” he said.

I threw Nathan a ‘you better come back safe, or else’ look to which he threw me a smirk and turned along with Jeff to walk towards my room.

Please, please don’t let anything happen to either of them.

“Sara? You want to come with us?” I asked her. She shook her head and said she was heading off to Jeff’s room.

I spoke to her through my thoughts.

I’m sorry…about all that’s happening here because of me.

“Shut up.” she said, rolling her eyes at me.

But before she could leave, I stopped her.

“Grey, can you have someone escort her to Jeff’s please?” I asked Grey.

Grey smiled at me and nodded at me. I adjusted Remy in my arms as Grey made a call and ten seconds later another tiger came to escort Sara.

She nodded her thanks to me with a wink and I smiled back.

Grey tugged on my arm. I went along with him, my heart and mind with my mate.

He was sending me I’m fine emotions through the bond which helped ease my tension.

When we were at Nate’s room, I carefully placed Remy on Nate’s bed, covering him with Nathan’s covers and removing his thumb that had gone back into his mouth again.

“You’re good with him.” Grey said with a weird look on his face.

I raised my eyebrows at him.

“Why is that such a big deal with you tigers?” I grumbled.

He shrugged.

“Shifter babies don’t get on well with non-Shifter’s. They don’t understand your scent, because they’ve never scented it before. So it’s surprising to watch him sleep while you were holding him, that’s like…the ultimate trust they could hand you.” Grey said.