Chapter 12: A New Life, A New Start

Important note: Don't rush to make assumptions yet. I know what you are thinking, and no, Grant's not the one she called. Enjoy! And, I don't mind the critics actually, but an f word about the character is hard to pass by. Love ya!

***

2 years later...

Blue skies, green leaves on the trees and chirping birds were enough to make a day good and peeaceful for Alexandra. She had waited for a year and a half for this very day to come and now, she couldn't even describe the joy she had felt ever since she had woken up from her sleep this morning.

There, she stood on the tarred road looking up to the building painted in royal blue and baby pink. It was her dream came true to finally own a bakery. Today was the big opening and she couldn't wait for customers to fill her bakery, having a bite on the sweet and delicious baked goods with various kinds of drinks served in her new bakery.

"Alexandra, come! We are ready for the photo." Rae said from the doorway.

Rae was one of her employees who had recently graduated from high school with a valedictorian. She came from a low-class family and needed money to provide for her sick mother and her little brother who's now in elementary school. Alexandra had met Rae at a nearby supermarket when she had went down to buy some groceries for dinner.

She had come upon Rae who stood on the pavement, looking directly into the supermarket with a longing look on her face. When she was asked, Rae had tried to flee away from her but instead failed to do so since Alexandra had captured her arm in her hands. She then had come clean about her life and how she had no money to buy her family food and medicines.

Ever since then, Alexandra had helped Rae in the most possible ways she could in order for her to complete her studies and eventually be able to provide for her family on her own without having to lose her little brother to the social workers.

"So, have you receive any letters from the universities you applied to?" Alexandra asked as she sipped on her latte.

Rae nodded, "I had two from Oxford and LSE."

"That's good! I know you are one smart lady. Which one would you choose?"

"I'm not sure yet. Maybe I'll just stay here and work at the bakery for a year then continue my studies. Jojo needs me anyway." she explained.

I sighed and stared at her for a while. She had her head down as she fiddled her fingers looking guilty all of a sudden.

"Nonsense. I can take care of Jojo and Lola while you are not here. Your studies should not be put to stop." Alexandra scolded Rae softly. "It's best for you and I know your mother would love for you to be successful one day. It would be devastating for her to find out that she's the one who holds you back from all your dreams."

Rae nodded as she hugged her tightly in her arms. A few seconds later, someone snapped them out from their moment with a cough.

"I thought we have stopped mourning over Rae's pet cat's death."

Alexandra chuckled and got up from her seat to hug the tall, fair-skinned man. He softly pressed his lips against her rose, plump lips before doing the same on her temple. Rae had sneaked away from the both of them and back into the kitchen leaving just the two of them at the table.

"Do you want some tea?" Alexandra asked while putting some cream puffs onto the plate.

Grant hummed, "Chamomile, please."