~40~

Lexi had to find a quiet place to cool off. Her blood pressure had not lowered since she lost her temper behind the stable. The only consolation was knowing the young minotaur had been left in the capable hands of Hecate. The wise goddess helped remove the arrow and dress his wound. She also promised to pay Hades' palace a visit with a report that evening. Lexi asked Sella to inform her the moment Hecate arrived, in the meantime, she escaped into her private bath with a large bottle of lavender.

The lack of electricity in Hades' castle did not diminish the feeling of luxury, and nowhere was this more apparent than in the bathroom. The claw foot tub stood behind a curtain of thick damask and had been outfitted with running water. A small furnace burned constantly beneath it, keeping the temperature pleasantly warm. Lexi slipped into the fragrant waters, dispersing the strong, floral scent in a billow of steam. She inhaled deeply as she relaxed against the curved porcelain, taking in the medicinal properties and commanding her brain to settle down.

As her mind drifted, she allowed it to linger on the image of Hades. Not the image she had just left, with blood stained hands and a guilty expression, but the one of him poised over her, bare skinned and smiling as he took pleasure in her. She loved him more than words could express, and she would do anything to keep him happy and content. Was she overreacting about the hunt? She knew very little about the minotaur species, only that they were living, breathing beings, with a language and intelligence. Were they as vicious as Zeus earnestly pointed out at their Thanksgiving feast? Did the gods believe the minotaurs were not deserving of life because they acted like savages? If that was the case, the gods were as misguided as humans.

Lexi pushed away the disturbing images that had slipped back into her brain and lowered her head under the water. She had barely begun to relax when a knock came at the door.

"Is that you, Sella?"

The door creaked open, but Sella did not greet her in her usual lighthearted manner. Lexi would not be surprised if Sella was not herself for a while. They had both endured a stressful afternoon.

"Has Hecate arrived?" Lexi asked as she pulled back the curtain. The flickering light of the wall sconce illuminated a figure as he closed the door behind him, and Lexi's jaw tightened with renewed anger. "What the hell are you doing in here, Kade? Get out this instant!"

"I come in peace. Just give me a chance to say something before you throw me out." He appeared gaunt as the shadows from the dimly lit room fell across his face. He actually looked remorseful.

Lexi sunk lower in the tub, attempting to hold the curtain open while keeping her breasts submerged. She knew his intentions for disturbing her in the bath were not completely innocuous. He could have waited until she was fully clothed. "You have three minutes."

"Thank you, my lady. I wanted to apologize for behaving in such an insensitive, reckless and delinquent manner when I knew how passionately you felt about animals, whether or not they could gut me as swiftly as I could them. I never considered the possibility that a male minotaur could be the sole caregiver to his offspring. The task of child rearing has always been relegated to the females. I suspect Sella was able to obtain this information from the youngster?"

"Yes. She speaks fluent minotaur. It was quite impressive."

"Has he been successfully tended to? Will his wounds heal without jeopardizing his ability to thrive?"

Lexi nodded, wondering how long Kade had rehearsed his speech. "I think he will do fine, although Hecate is concerned he may not be accepted back into his herd. We have not had time to examine the options." Lexi stared at Kade as he appeared to fumble for a response, looking at his hands then at the wall sconce then at the window over her head. "Is there anything else, Kade? I believe your three minutes are up."

He finally let his eyes rest on Lexi's face, although she could see him struggling to keep them above her chest. "Whether you believe this or not, I care what you think of me. I don't want you to hate me. You have made an immeasurable impact on Hades, even Persephone has noticed this. He was becoming insufferably withdrawn and introspective, and we had begun to worry about him. You have ignited his spirit again, and I want you both to know you have my full support."

Kade's disclosure left Lexi at a loss for words, but she managed to find a few that fit. "Thank you. I expect you have given this same speech to Hades?"

"A similar one, right after he read me the riot act for upsetting you. You may not be aware of this, but he is terrified of you going to Olympus."

"Why?"

"Think about it, Lexi. There are suitors crowding around Zeus' table as we speak, and the focus of discussion is which god will win your affections and coerce you into joining them in Olympus."

"Oh, that. Well, I'm not for sale or barter. I love Hades and I will never cheat on him."

Kade chuckled and his gaze slipped to take in the sight of her breasts as they floated on the surface. "Gods do not consider it cheating. Sex is not undertaken with the sole purpose of showing affection, it is a source of pleasure and an act of our prowess. I am not suggesting you consider betraying your devotion to Hades, but consider your station as a god. Passion emanates from every pore of your body, and I expect Hades is already contemplating ways he can satiate your desires long term. If you are, indeed, planning to go to Olympus to talk to the council, I suggest you take a bodyguard. I apologize if my presence has made you uncomfortable. I will take my leave before my resolve weakens any further."

Lexi wrapped an arm around her chest as Kade backed through the door, leaving her with one last sentiment before he closed it.

"If you decide to go with the bodyguard idea, I would like to volunteer."