~41~

Hades leaned against the mantle and stared into the fire. The scent of blood was still on his hands, despite the extended time he spent in the bath. He wanted to join Lexi in her bathroom, but she requested to be alone. His presence had never bothered her, even when she was stewing about something. Today, she had revealed a side so vehement, so passionate that he was at a loss for how to deal with it. She was determined to go to Olympus to confront her father and the council of the gods about the hunt, when just days before she had refused Z when he invited her to his home.

Fiona entered the room after a quick knock. She carried the bottle of wine he had requested and set it on the table to open it. Glancing critically at him, she filled a glass, handing it to him with a practiced smile.

"Well, are you going to share your opinion with your master or stand there judging me?" he said.

Fiona watched as he drank deeply. He knew her hesitation was not out of fear of his wrath. The nymphs had learned how to deal with his temper. She was likely taking her time to craft her reply.

"I think you should trust Lexi, Lord Hades. She is different from the others. I do not believe she will let herself be coaxed into abandoning you."

"So, you believe I am worried she will abandon me if she visits Olympus?"

Fiona feigned embarrassment but Hades knew better. Of all the nymphs, Fiona had the most forthright manner. "I am worried you will do something silly to keep her from exploring her passions. Imagine if someone kept you from doing something you were passionate about. Imagine they told you how to do your job. This would make you unhappy, would it not?"

"Of course, but how can I guarantee she will stay with me when there are gods in Olympus who can give her more than I?"

"You cannot guarantee that. Nobody can, but you can make sure she knows how much her love means to you and what you are willing to do to secure her commitment. Is there anything you can think of that might convince her of your unyielding devotion?"

Hades brought the glass to his mouth and nearly drained it. He knew what the clever nymph was getting at, and yes, he had thought of it, but he had planned to discuss the matter with Persephone first. Then he would wait until she returned home in the spring out of deference to her feelings. Everything was happening too fast. If he wanted to secure Lexi's loyalty, he needed to pose his question to her before she left for Olympus. He swallowed the remains in his glass and set it on the table, contemplating the enormity of his task when the dinner bell rang.

"Excuse me, your lordship. I have forsaken my duties in the kitchen," Fiona said as she dashed across the room. "Do you have any instructions for me before I take my leave?"

She paused at the door as Hades deliberated. "Am I to understand Hecate will be joining us for dinner?"

"Yes, and you know how she hates to be kept waiting."

Hades nodded. "I am aware. You have my permission to start dinner as scheduled. Please offer my apologies. Lexi and I may be delayed."

The corridors of the castle felt exceptionally cold, penetrating the heavy fibers of his jacket as he strode briskly toward the north tower. He worried he would miss Lexi - that she may have already joined the dinner party downstairs. Was she still angry with him? Was she ever angry with him? Did she believe he held the same views as Kade about the sanctity of life, or lack thereof? Few species resided in his domain, and the minotaurs were the only ones considered to be uncivilized, according to the gods of Olympus. Surely, Hecate had filled Lexi's head with her own opinions about the minotaurs and the important role they played in the underworld.

When he arrived at Lexi's door, he stood outside for a long moment, second guessing his intentions and deliberating on whether to turn and run. What was he afraid of - her indifference to his feelings? Would she pity his weakness? Would she reject him? He was a damn strong god, wielding the element of fire, manipulating the forces of gravity, tranquilizing the beasts in a single breath. He would prove that her love was not misguided, that she had chosen a worthy mate.

The door opened and Sella stared up at him, the expression of shock and possibly guilt displayed in her immense green eyes. "Oh, Lord Hades. Shouldn't you be heading down to dinner?"

"Am I not allowed to escort Lady Lexi down?"

Sella nearly tripped on her dress as she bowed into a deep curtsy. "Of course, my lord. You simply gave me a fright. I will take my leave. Have a pleasant evening."

As Sella scurried down the hall, Hades entered Lexi's room, finding her standing at the window. Her back was to the glass and she held out her arms, welcoming him into them.

"Sella and I were just talking about you," she said as Hades strode across the room, clasping her hands in his. "I expect your ears were burning."

"More or less. Were you planning to share your secrets with me?"

She smiled and kissed his cheek. "I was telling her that Kade paid me a visit in my private bath this evening, and I figured you didn't know."

Hades felt his jaw lower to the point of being obvious, but he rallied with a coherent statement. "That sounds like something Kade would do. What was his purpose for such a bold intrusion?"

"He came to apologize for killing that minotaur, knowing I was against it. He also appeared concerned for the young minotaur who was caught in the crossfire. His speech may have been rehearsed, but I have to say, it renewed my faith in him."

"I have a feeling his revelation stemmed from the lively conversation he and I held after you stormed away from the stable. Kade is a father himself, with two sons and three daughters to his credit. Irrespective of his behavior on the hunt, he is capable of great compassion."

After a moment of contemplation, Lexi nodded, and she pulled Hades close, securing his arms around her waist. She was wearing an emerald green dress with a plunging neckline that seemed specifically designed to taunt him. "Despite your son's ability to charm a woman with flowery apologies and admissions of weakness, he is nothing like you, and I mean that in the best possible way."

She kissed him soundly, opening her mouth as he obliged her with his tongue. His manhood took notice, and he pressed his leg between her thighs, letting her know she had everyone's attention.

"So, you think Kade is charming, huh?"

Lexi took his bottom lip between her teeth and nipped it gently. "There is a difference between being charming and being a charmer. Kade is a charmer."

"And what about me? Do you find me charming?"

"You, my love, are my prince charming." She dragged her hand affectionately over his erection.

"Are you aware that your prince is thinking very impolite thoughts about you right now?"

"Are you thinking you would like to bend me over and have your way with me, but you realize it would be impolite to be late to dinner when we are expecting a guest? Or did I get that wrong?"

Hades chuckled as he took a reluctant step away from Lexi before she completely bewitched him. "I am thinking your pragmatism is saving you from being ravaged by an impolite prince. However, the night is still young."