Chapter 16

Be sure to comment and vote if you enjoy the story. It really does encourage me to keep writing for you guys! <3

I come to in a small, dark room on a bed carved into the rocky wall, my body  sore and tired and my head throbbing

I come to in a small, dark room on a bed carved into the rocky wall, my body sore and tired and my head throbbing. I sit up slowly, ignoring the dizziness that comes with the sudden movement. As my eyes adjust to the darkness, I notice that the rock across the room from me leads out of the room through a narrow tunnel.

Where's Alec?

Where am I?

Only one way to figure that out, I guess.

I stand up slowly. My legs feel heavy, like they haven't been used in a while. Running my fingers along the wall to guide me, I follow the tunnel and take a left.

I come across many twists and turns that lead into more rooms, all in the dark. I peek into each one, looking for Alec, and even risk calling out his name once or twice. With each empty room and nothing but silence echoing my calls, more and more panic grips my heart until I can barely breathe. Did the dark fairy bring me to Anabella? I wonder. What did it do with Alec?

I turn another corner and notices a warm glow at the end of the hallway. As I move closer to the source, faint voices drift to my ears, coming from the same place as the light.

I pause when I reach the doorway, listening for Alec's voice in the mix of sounds.

"With all due respect, your majesty, we must shelter the girl until she is ready to face Anabella." The voice is unfamiliar and deep with an accent I've never heard, heavy on the H sounds and rolling the Ls and Rs off their tongue.

"The fatoris have never dared to come this close," another voice argues. This one is deeper and fills the room and the tunnel with its presence. He has the same accent as the last speaker. "She is putting my people in danger."

"Everyone will perish if this girl does not succeed, even the mighty flame warriors. Surely you must know that," the first voice replies. Several voices start talking at once and soon I can't understand a word anyone is saying. I lean closer to the tunnel, turning my head to hear better. Are they talking about...me?

"Look who finally decided to wake up," a gruff voice says from behind me. I jump, my heart pounding, but before I can turn to see who it is or even raise a hand to defend myself, the owner of the voice shoves me into the room I'd been eavesdropping on. The arguing comes to a halt and my cheeks burn when the eyes of eight men and women sitting around an oval table made of rock fall onto me. I hold my head high and hold the gaze of the man sitting at the head of table, even though I want to crawl into a hole and hide.

My fear ebbs some when I see that my captors aren't dark fairies. In fact, judging from the masses of brilliantly burning fires on their shoulders, I'd say that they're ignis. Fire fairies.