Chapter 56

"Freya?" I lean my head against the wall, "Are you gonna do it already?"

We've been standing in this fancy white building in front of these fancy white doors for 10 minutes, more or less. I'm surprised the couple living inside hadn't already seen her through the peephole.

"What if they don't live here anymore and-"

"Babe, we've already gone through this," I raise my brows at her, getting a little irritated at this point. "Just ring the bell, if it's not them that live there, we'll just go home."

"And that's it?" She says, looking down at her hands, picking at the hem of her plaid shirt. "We just go home and... nothing?"

"Not nothing," I frown, "We'll look them up online or something, it won't be the end of it."

Freya nods, sighing as she looks up at the door she's been standing in front of for quite some time; we've already had three people see us, if she doesn't do anything soon someone might tell the people living in this apartment that something fishy is going on. That is when she'll really be getting nothing.

"Oh, what the hell," She mutters to herself and with obvious force presses the button to the door's right; I widen my eyes and hurry over next to her, my heart speeding up considerably as we wait for the door to be opened – I get how she's feeling now.

A minute passes, before the door is opened by a tall, blond man; at first he smiles politely at Freya, before his face goes blank and his eyes get a little wide too. Good, he recognizes her. It would've been awkward if he didn't.

"Hi, um-"

"Freya!" He exclaims with a huge smile, and a heavy accent I can't quite put a finger on. "What- wha- how?"

Oh, okay, he's Dutch. Or from some country around the Netherlands.

"Well-" Before she can say anything, he steps closer to her and pulls her in a tight hug; it makes me happy to see they haven't forgotten her, nor that they have hard feelings because she didn't keep in touch.

"And who's this?"

"That's Niall, my-"

Again, before she can finish what she was saying, the man walks over to me and hugs me too. Just like that, he doesn't even know who I am, I doubt he even caught my name.

"Irish, yes?" He nods at me when he pulls away, still smiling, "I lived in Ireland for a year before moving here, met one or two Nialls."

I raise my brows in surprise- this is the first time anyone in America has pronounced my name the exact right way. And he's not even American. "Yes, yes, Irish. Yes."

"Yes, I love you guys, you're funny." I smile back at him, already taking a liking to him. "What is he to you?" He asks Freya.

"Husband."

"Husband? Oh good! I didn't like your last one, no offense." He goes back in the apartment, watching us from the doorway as Freya looks back at him with wide eyes, and I'm laughing my ass off next to her. I always go with my guts when it comes to people – I definitely like this guy.

"Come on in, Dalton will be home soon," He says, making way for us. "And my name is Sven."

"Sven?" I smile, walking in after Freya, "Like the character from Dota?"

"Yes, and Frozen," He nods, leading us to the living room. The very large, spacious, naturally lit living room. "Take a seat, I will get you something. Coffee or tea? Or something else?"

"Tea is fine."

He waltzes over to the kitchen, causing me to notice the open concept – all together the room must be bigger than my entire apartment. If this is an apartment, I can't even imagine what the penthouse looks like. At least we know Freya's biological child definitely has a nice life.