Chapter 52

This one's to @Mitchymusic for the amusing comments. Sorry that it came out so late 😅

Anyways, last chapter of da book people. I love you all for all the comments and support you've been giving me and for backing me up all the way. Thank you for rereaders who took their time to reread this story and next surprise is gonna come up in the following chapters after this one (JUST PLEASE SCROLL THROUGH UNTIL YOU GET TO IT. YOU'LL KNOW WHAT IT IS ONCE YOU GET TO IT. READ IT. IT WILL BRING YOU JOY. (I HOPE -- UNLESS YOU'RE HATING ON ME)

Enjoy!

•~•~•

"We'll get him back, Case. I know we will. He won't let you go that easily. He'll come back to us and if he doesn't, we'll get him to," Preston sounded so determined that if I wasn't there myself, I wouldn't believe that he was the douche who implied I was just another toy his brother would discard after he gets bored of me.

I rubbed my face, wishing I could just rub all the worry and anxiety out of my system.

I know I should be grateful instead of hating the situation. At least I will still get to see him. Even though he wouldn't remember who I am, I would still remember who he is and that's supposed to be enough.

To even imagine him waking up and look at me as if I was a complete stranger was enough to cause an ache in my heart to reach its peak. I didn't want to lose him, not after what we've gone through.

Through the hospital window, lightning flashed and a thunder's roar followed suit before the pelts of rain started hitting the window loudly, matching the gloom mood of the room.

"I don't want to lose him, Pres. Not after everything. It's my fault," I sobbed and I was surprise to feel the warmth engulf me the second the first tear slipped out through my shut lids.

Preston shushed me, "It's not your fault, Case. What happened was an accident. Don't blame it on yourself."

His words made the tears increase and soon, my chest was heaving from the effort to not throw something towards the wall out of frustration and anger towards myself.

I loathed the fact that even after what happened to his brother, Preston couldn't trace the dots and figure out that all the mishaps that have been happening begun the minute that I came along.

"It is my fault, you idiot. Why won't you just hate me?! I am the reason that your flesh and blood is lying on his death bed!" I yelled in outrage. "I am the reason that your brother might not remember anything. Not even you," I shoved him away from me and faced the other way, too ashamed of myself to face him.

"I wasn't strong enough or smart enough to get money quicker so that your mother would receive treatments and an operation quicker. I could've saved her and now I couldn't even fulfill the promise I made her," I spat out and felt his hand land on my shoulder, trying to coax me to calm down.

I shrugged it off, walked to a dark corner of the room and hugged myself, still not facing him.

"I street fight, Pres," I whispered and instead of receiving insults, I could practically see him shrugging.

"So? Adam fights too. It's not that big of a deal, Case. How would it connect to all of this anyways?" I squeezed my eyes shut and with a heavy heart, spilled the beans on my double life to him.

"... He threatened me on re-entering that competition or he will kill everyone I love. This was a warning. Not for Adam, but for me," a shiver ran down my spine and my fingers tightened themselves around my arms.