Chapter 12

Holy crap! We're at chapter 12 already? Man, where has the time gone?
-playlist of your day here please-
Super sorry for the late update, I've been really sick recently, and I've been feeling super down in the dumps :( don't worry, I'm much better now! Thank you all for your wishes and patience. Trust me, I hated not updating.

Brendan's POV

I walked out of the bedroom feeling uneasy, as if someone was watching me. I shook off the feeling, rushing down the stairs so I could get back to Janie as quickly as possible. It felt as if my heart was stretching apart when I left my mate for even a few minutes, and I had spent less than ten with the person I was supposed to make mine.

As the water filled up the cup, my mind flashed back to Janie hitting her head on the ground. The sound alone was enough to make me want to go on a rampage across the town. She was skinny enough already, and the fatigue must have gotten to her. It hurt my heart knowing her own body was working against her.

The glass dropped in my hands and shattered into the sink below when I received a blow to my back. Snapping out of my daydream, I moved to face the source. Canines barring, I turned around to see who would threaten me, the alpha of this pack. Anger and heat were radiating off me as I schurintized the two men in black standing before me. I would have found this comical, because yes, I had seen the movie. Will Smith, a classic. But something behind their tinted sunglasses told me this was anything but funny. A low growl ripped from my throat, showing that I was never going to back down to these two pieces of scum in my house.

Instinctively, my mind went to my mate, and praying she would stay safe in her bedroom. I mind linked my grandmother, but was met with no response, raising my stress levels immensely. Where could she be? Did these goons get to her too? Without a second thought, I lunged in the air, ready for a fight if that meant protecting Janie and my grandma. The two men gave each other a look and snickered, pulling their hands from behind their backs and melded them into fists.

In my defense, I was easily up handing both of them, if not for they syringe that came out of a pocket. Filled with clear liquid, I knew instantly I should stay away if I wanted to stay conscious. Moving between the two, I swung punches, smiling as I heard the blow from my hands land on their faces. Sue me, I'm a little violent sometimes.

Bruises would be left for sure, if I didn't kill them first. Upstairs, I heard a door open and steps creaking along the floorboards, and for a split second, turned my attention towards the stairs. Finding a weakness, one of the men stuck the needle in my arm, and I felt the poison moving through me almost spontaneously. The world turned on its axis for a second, before I met the ground, I tried to fight whatever was happening to me, but the darkness soon washed over my eyes, leaving me out cold.

***
The first thing I thought when I came to was where was the burning smell coming from. What the hell was that? I bounded up the steps, following the smell, and the faint trail of my mate, my head clearing with every step I made. I shook the handle of the guest room where I last left her, and was met with a locked handle.

"Janie? Sweetie, open up, it's just me." I became more alarmed when the smell of fire became more prominent. Worry and anger filled me, and I shook the door again.

"Janie, I will knock this down. Please, let me in." Even I could hear the desperate note in my voice. I was once again met with silence. I backed up a few steps, and slammed my weight into the door frame, knocking it to the floor. The sight I saw was enough to make me see red. The smell was from matches lit. The men from earlier were back, and their grimy hands were on what was mine. Their hands held the sticks and were waving them in front of my mate's face. Were those regular match sticks?
Janie was unconscious from the looks of it, and the handprints of the felonies were all over her.

My poor soul mate was being beat to a pulp while I was sleeping on the kitchen floor.

I had no problem snapping both of their necks.

To say the least.

I gathered Janie in my arms and snarled when I saw the red prints forming already. Her neck had clear finger outlines in it, and I could feel my body start to shake. No one should treat any person this way, let alone the future Luna! My head snapped up when I heard someone leaving the room. I put down Janie and bolted out of the room, itching to grab the traitor. I skidded to a halt when I saw the white hair turning the corner.

Grandma?

Did she have those men try and kill Janie?

I called after her, and tried to catch up, but she kept evading me by turning and moving around the house in different patterns. I finally gave up doing this the nice way and broke into a full sprint, wanting this cat and mouse game to end. I grabbed onto her shoulder, and she yelped, turning around to face me. Her face held no emotion, only the bags that hung under her eyes ever since Dad died.

Her face masked into one of horror in a second, and she then cupped my face and started shivering.

"Did you see them Brendan, those men in our house? They were after me and Janie!" Her voice held something behind it, and I brushed it off as her being shaken up from the previous encounter. I hugged her, trying to calm her nerves, but wanting to get out of her embrace quickly, I had someone else to hug.

Little did I know, I would have gotten out of her arms if I had seen the menacing smile she held behind my back.

***

Wellllllll, I'm finally back from my "sickcation" I missed you guys, and writing about my favs.
So, thoughts?
Remember, all of you are amazing and gorgeous human beings that deserve as many shots at life as you want. Never let anyone, or yourself, tell you other wise.
With all the love in the world, and finally, no more sniffles,
-neary17