Chapter 63

There were two key aspects which were working in our favour as we tried to track down the mysterious scholar known as Drabblestone. The first was that Port Cressida had its own unique version of the web. Vampires had embraced the digital revolution and created its own private online space for its supernaturals residents to use, and this included an online phone. The second advantage was that Drabblestone was an uncommon name and in the whole of Port Cressida there was only one resident who had that name - M. Drabblestone of 63 Challow Street.

The location of the street was near the waterfront in a run down part of town that was near the docks. Jacques was familiar with this area and offered to drive us there. Nico still wasn't particularly sold on the idea, but he'd resigned himself to the fact that we were going with or without his blessing. Laying on his bed he muttered to himself, "This is a stupid idea."

We ignored his griping and continued to get ready to venture into the city. Nervous excitement was bubbling up inside me as it dawned on me that I was finally getting to visit the city I'd heard so much about. Port Cressida - the great vampire city of the west! For so long I had heard about it and watched its snowy roof tops from my distant tower, but now I was going to see it up close and personal.

Jacques saw my expression of excitement and asked, "Are you getting pumped to finally go and visit your royal city, Princess?"

I smiled at him, eager to share my excitement with him, but Nico cut me dead. Glowering at me he said, "This isn't a sight seeing weekend break, Mia. I want you in and out of the city as soon as possible. Do you understand?"

My heart sank. Why did he go and have to spoil my fun? This was the one thing I was looking forward too - the silver lining around the crap heap that was my life. I rolled my eyes and muttered under my breath," Understood, Mother dearest."

Jacques stifle a giggle at my comment and whispered, "This is going to be awesome. You'll finally get to see what the city looks like."

Smiling I pulled on my coat and replied, "I know. I've been dying to explore the city since I moved into the apartment several days ago. I could see the rooftops from my bedroom window!"

"Yeah, that's right. From where you were staying, you'd be able to see Old Town - it's the fanciest part of town where most of the blue bloods live. It's super historic with lots of culture and buildings, and other shit a young educated woman like yourself would appreciate," he smiled.

Images of beautiful brick houses encircling sprawling plazas with beautiful fountains, danced across my mind. I was imagining Italian cities or some where like Paris. The kind of places I'd always dreamed of visiting one day. Pulling on my ruck sack, I asked, "Will we drive through it?"

My question was met with a snort of laughter from Jacques. "Are you kidding? Old Town is north of the city, in the posh area. Where we are going to is pretty much the anus of Port Cressida. It's a complete shit hole. The docks closed down decades of ago and the whole place went to hell. The only people who live there are the people who can't afford to live anywhere else in the city."

"Oh," I said trying not to sound disappointed, "I'm sure it has it's charms."

"Only if you find poverty and crime charming," he replied.

I thought back to the beautiful snowy roof tops I had seen through the iron bars in my bedroom window and remembered how picturesque it had been. I honestly believed that Port Cressida would turn out to be this wonderful magical city filled with supernatural creatures, I never thought it would turn out to be like every other city on this planet with its nice parts and its bad parts.