22. My Trigger

22. My Trigger: Xander's Pov

QOTC- Baby names? (Could be boy or girl)

"SWEETHEART, WAKE UP!!" I excitedly bang my fists on the wooden door. I would've woken her up earlier,but I know that she didn't get much sleep last night. "Get dressed! The ultrasound is in an hour!"

I look down at the note that Charlotte left on my desk a few days ago.

"We have an ultrasound appointment with Dr. Kale next Sunday at noon. Just wanted to let you know, I hope you see this note.
-Char"

It was short and blunt, but it's the only thing that I've heard from my mate. I'm going to use this opportunity to prove to her that I can be more attentive and that I'm already trying. "Good morning." I greet when she opens the door. Only she isn't dressed up yet, she's still wearing her sleeping clothes; a pair of leggings and a t-shirt that I thought went missing.

"You read the note?" she asks, her voice extremely quiet as if she doesn't think that I read her note. I've been watching out for signs that she wants me to notice, that note was one of them.

"Of course I did." I answer, hoping that I'll get to hear her voice again. She probably won't allow me to touch her yet, so I don't push it. When she doesn't say or do anything, I state with a frown, "You didn't think I would care about the ultrasound."

I know it's true when she lowers her head. "You should get some rest." I say, looking at the bags under her eyes. She has a blanket wrapped around her and she leans against the doorframe for support. "I can call Dr. Kale and reschedule-"

"N-No." Charlotte shakes her head. "I'm fine."

"You need to sleep, sweetheart. You look more tired than I am." I tell her. I'm extremely tired myself, but she seems exhausted. Her head jerks up every few seconds because she can't even keep herself awake right now.

"No." she mumbles shaking her head to wake herself up. The job is done when thunder booms outside, causing Charlotte to jump and step a little closer to me. I want her to step into my arms and allow me to hold her but I know none of that will be happening any time soon.

Things were going so well until I ruined it. We were getting closer to each other, we completed the mating-bond, and I thought that things would go uphill from there. Only it didn't.

Even though Charlotte has started speaking to me again, life if starting to feel like how if used to be before she woke up in the hospital. Before she came back home, everything was a routine that never had any excitement in it. I would wake up, eat, hit the gym, do pack work, eat again, then go to sleep. The most exciting thing I did before Charlotte arrived was hand out with Brody.

"Go get some rest, sweetheart." I say after a few moments of silence.

"But the ultrasou-"

"I'll call Dr. Kale to reschedule." I cut her off. "You need to rest, I know neither of us slept well last night. I'll be in the office when you wake up."

I stay to make sure that Charlotte makes it back to the bed without collapsing before heading downstairs to the office. Quickly mind-linking Dr. Kale to tell her that we can't make it to the ultrasound appointment, I reschedule for tomorrow instead. 'Mate was scared last night.' my wolf tells me.

'I know.' I reply. Just like all of the other nights that she slept in the guest room, I laid outside of the door to be close to her. I heard her sniffles and whimpers all through the night; it was horrible knowing that she was scared and that I couldn't hold her.