Chapter Sixteen: Developments

– Zach –

– Zach –

I stand uneasily underneath the shade of a big tree outside campus. Luke, Abby and Terra stand before me, and they all look ready to shred me into pieces.

"So you're telling me that Abby just wants to delete a wrongly sent text from Terra, from your phone?" Luke asks, confused.

"That's the summary." I say.

"No, that's not it, why on earth would Abby go to that extent just to delete a text? Can't you do it by yourself?" He asks again, clearly unconvinced.

"That is something I'd like to know too." I glare at both Abby and Terra.

"Don't give me that look, I'm just doing what's best for my friend." Abby says defensively.

"But you didn't have to do that, damn." I groan.

"Would you have deleted it if I asked nicely?" she frowns.

"Yes." I say, beginning to feel exhausted. "It's just a text and I have no plans of keeping it, heck, I don't even know what it is supposed to mean."

"Don't play games, Zach, I know you're not that dumb." Terra accuses.

"What games?" I drone.

"Don't act like you don't know what it is." She growls.

"What am I acting– wait, never mind. If you think that I'm even at all interested in girl conversations then I'm sorry to say, you really have mistaken." I say.

Terra narrows her eyes at me suspiciously while Abby turns to Luke, suddenly desperate.

"There's nothing between me and Zach." Abby blurts and Luke turns red, again.

"O-Okay, I mean, you don't have to tell me, it doesn't really matter, like, I don't care." Luke stammers, pretending to be cool and unbothered. I subtly shoot him a look that only he can understand.

"Have you deleted it yet?" Terra asks crossly.

"Yes." I say, showing her the screen of my phone as proof. "I still don't know what the big deal is."

"Good." She says curtly and I sigh.

"So...can I go now?" I mutter. I can physically feel my energy levels seeping away from my body. I don't even know why I'm asking for permission.

"Actually, no." Terra answers. She looks at me with a hint of annoyance, but there's something else. "I'll just see you back home later." She speaks to Abby who appears surprised.

"Oh, okay then." Abby responds unquestioningly, then she sneakily shoots her a thumbs-up. That girl needs to learn how to be more subtle.