~53~

Hades awoke from the most disturbing dream, although it had started out quite pleasantly. He and Lexi were engaged in an enjoyable exchange of foreplay, in which she was stroking him under the table as they fed each other sponge cake dipped in chocolate. Their amorous activities continued in the dome room, where she bent over the chaise, her pink flesh wrapped around him as he took her from behind. It wasn't until she called out the name of his brother, Poseidon, that he realized it was not he who gave her such pleasure, and he was left with his manhood throbbing and his heart constricting.

He rose from Lexi's bed and shuffled to the table where a pitcher of water had been left by the nymphs. He chose to sleep in Lexi's room to give Persephone full use of their shared chamber in which to recuperate, but his decision only served to torture his mind and, apparently, his dreams. The sky outside the window had already turned to lavender, telling him he had slept through breakfast. He had expected to sleep until lunchtime at least, having spent countless hours at the gates the night before helping souls make the trek to the river. 

Hades still recalled an image of a woman he had taken extra time with. She clung fervently to her young son for fear he might get injured, while the boy begged to be allowed to explore the path. It wasn't until she saw Charon standing in his boat waiting to take everyone downriver that she conceded the fact she and her child were dead.

With no chance of returning to sleep, Hades washed up and dressed in his work clothes. He had not forgotten about the promise he made to himself to repair the stable. It would be the best way to keep his mind off his worries. Had Lexi met with the council yet? Had she tried to reach him through the scrying mirror to share the outcome, only to be informed that he was still asleep? 

He walked up to the mirror, contemplating his next move as he pulled a comb through his hair. He could contact her and offer his support. Tell her how much he loved her, again. Warn her not to bend over any chaises while at the palace. He set down the comb, sighing at his weakness. Lexi was a goddess and he was a god, each compelled to undertake the tasks they had been assigned. He would check on Persephone, take in nourishment, pick up his hammer, and go about his day.

Hades left the room and had just reached the third floor landing when Blythe ran up to him, her cheeks red and her chest heaving.

"Oh, Lord Hades. You're awake." She bowed deeply, nearly toppling over in her attempt to accomplish it. "I have an urgent message from Hecate. She requests your presence in your chamber where she sits with Persephone."

His heart leaped inside his chest when Blythe caught his eye. She appeared to be suppressing a sober expression. "Has Persephone's condition taken a bad turn?"

"I have not been informed of her condition, your lordship. I have only been asked to relay that message."

Hades rushed past her, leaving her speaking the last words to his back, and by the time he reached his chamber, his heart was in his throat. Swallowing past it, he pushed the heavy door open and the smell of sulfur invaded his nose. Hecate had surely been conjuring, which meant tinctures were not producing the desired results. Hecate and Jocelyn sat in front of the fireplace, both turning to look at him as he entered. Hecate put her finger to her lips in the gesture for quiet, and he nodded as he tiptoed to his bed. 

Persephone lay on her side, her hands tucked beneath her head and her protruding belly rising and falling under slow, labored respirations. He wanted desperately to touch her, to brush away the hair that hung over her face, but he dared not risk disturbing her. Before emotions could take hold of him, he joined Hecate and Jocelyn, dropping into a chair and dragging his fingers through his hair, undoing any benefits of the comb. 

"What is wrong with her?" His voice sounded desperate despite his attempt to keep it even.

"Exhaustion and, perhaps, anxiety," Hecate offered. "Our minds and emotions are powerful tools. They can help us as well as hinder us."

"Why would she be anxious? Is she worried about the child? She has hardly spoken of it. Does she think there are complications? Is she hiding something from me?"

Hecate lifted her hand to stop his rant. "The child has not been active for several turns of the hourglass, which may simply be a sign of its impending arrival, but I do not think that is where her anxiety lies. Of course, it is not my place to counsel the king and queen of the underworld on methods for combatting anxiety."

Hades' mouth lifted into a smirk. He simply couldn't help it. "Since when?"

His rebuttal came out louder than he intended and Hecate shushed him. "Whatever the cause, I am at a loss as to how to cure it, but there is something that may soothe her without causing harm to the child. Unfortunately, my stores have run low and I do not have a sufficient amount to make a proper draught. It is a fungus found in the darkest part of the forest behind my home. If you are willing, I need you to find it and fill this." She pulled a small leather pouch from her robe and draped it over his knee.

"Are you asking me to go into the minotaur forest to forage? Couldn't you send a nymph for it? I have no idea where to search. What does this fungus look like?"

"I am sending a nymph with you, Hades." Her tone took a condescending turn. "Anna will assist you. She knows where to find it, and she engages with the minotaurs frequently. She was able to assuage their anger when the adolescent was returned to his herd."

"If she can procure what you need herself, then what do you need me for? If the minotaurs find me in their forest, it is sure to ruffle their fur. They have already tried to burn down my stable."

Hecate pursed her lips before continuing. "If you recall, there was some question as to what the minotaurs would accept as your promise to cease the hunt. Well, Anna found out what that is, and it is you who needs to be the one to offer it."

Hades held Hecate's gaze, knowing full well she was waiting for him to ask. "Well, what is it?"

"Your blood."