~59~

Standing in front of the scrying mirror, Hades worried he might not like what he saw. He knew the orgy was taking place at Poseidon's palace, and any number of things could keep Lexi detained. He paced in a tight circle, incessantly running his fingers through his hair as he waited for the nymph to locate Lexi. The uncertainty only added to the misery he brought with him from Persephone's bedside, and a frown had taken firm root over his mouth.

"Hades, I'm so glad to see you. I miss you terribly." The bright cadence of Lexi's voice lifted him from the depths of his thoughts, and a smile swiftly claimed him as he stared at her radiant face. Her telling eyes gave away some unease she wished to keep hidden however, and the fact that she was at an orgy had his hands clenching into fists.

"Hello, my love. I have missed you terribly as well. Has Kade been fulfilling his duties as I directed?"

"Yes, but he complains about it a lot. Sometimes I have a hard time believing he's actually two hundred and fifty years old."

Hades let himself laugh. He'd had enough experience with Kade to know exactly what Lexi meant. "Just because gods are immortal, does not mean we act our age. Tell me, Lexi, how did the council meeting go?"

The glow coloring Lexi's face drained away like moonlight at sunrise, and she sucked in her bottom lip. Not a good sign. "I delivered my argument just as I had planned, and I think it was well received. Both Eros and Ares complimented me afterward. But, in the end, the votes were eight to five against."

The cramp Hades had been carrying in his belly twisted a little tighter, but he made an effort to bolster her. "I am sorry. The gods cling to their traditions as staunchly as they cling to the ambrosia that fuels them, but you will have more opportunities to say your piece. There is another formal meeting scheduled in the spring. If we can make it through the next hunt unscathed, I encourage you to try again."

He glanced down at his hand where Hecate had applied a bandage to his wound. Should he tell Lexi about the deal he made with the minotaurs? This would surely distress her.

"I'm going to figure something out, Hades. I can't bear the thought of having a hunting party waltz into the underworld with the sole purpose of slaughtering minotaurs. Maybe Persephone could help me come up with a plan. She seems to be full of good ideas. How is she feeling, by the way?" Hades released a breathy sigh, betraying his feelings, and Lexi's eyes went wide. "She's not better, is she? I'm coming home tonight. Screw this stupid orgy."

"That's very considerate of you, Lexi, but Hecate is here, and she is brewing up something that has the entire castle stinking like a city sewer. She is hopeful it will ease Persephone's suffering."

"Is that why you were collecting fungus in the forest? How did that go? Did you run into any minotaurs?"

It took every bit of his willpower to hold his face impassive as he told Lexi the truth. "Yes."

"Oh, gods. What happened? Did they attack you? Did you tell them I was trying to stop the hunt?"

"There was no attack," he said as he slipped his bandaged hand behind his back, although she couldn't see below his shoulders. "I had a nymph with me who handled most of the exchange. She told them we were taking steps to end the hunt. They seemed appeased by the time we left the forest."

Lexi shook her head. "This is terrible. What will they do when they hear I have failed?"

"Lexi, listen to me. Do not blame yourself for this. You have done more than any other god or goddess before you. You have brought the issue into the light and forced the council to consider their rationale for continuing the practice. The fight is not over."

Her jaw went rigid. "Truer words have never been spoken."

"Will I see you tomorrow?"

"Yes, first thing in the morning. I told Kade I was going to bail on this party early. I think he'll be glad to get rid of me so he can have fun."

Although Hades would like nothing more than to have Lexi bail on Olympus and share a bed with him, he wanted her to know he trusted her judgement. "I hope you enjoy yourself in the meantime. The gods know how to throw a party, just don't let yourself get cornered by one. They can be charlatans of the finest caliber."

"I'm sure I'll be fine. Poseidon has been keeping me company. It turns out he is capable of behaving like a gentleman."

A groan made its way past Hades' lips and he quickly cleared his throat. "I trust you to know the difference between a gentleman and a charlatan. If I were there with you, I would take you into my arms and ravish you with no regard for gentlemanly behavior."

Lexi smiled and he watched her eyes light up with that familiar spark. "And I would beg you not to stop. I love you, my prince. Take care of Persephone. I will see you tomorrow." She blew him a kiss as her face vanished from the mirror, but not before he heard her hiccup.