Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Oliver's POV

"Please come?" Jessa begged me. Her friends nodded eagerly behind her. "Please? Do it for me?"

Why the hell would I do anything for you, you dumb bitch—is what I wanted to say, but I didn't. Instead, I smiled sweetly.

"I'll think about it." 

Jessa pouted, probably thinking she looked cute. Instead, she looked like Farrah Abraham with her botched lip.

"Aww," her posse whined, trying to apply some mild peer pressure on me. Luckily, the bell rang, and after a polite dismissal I left to my class.

I didn't know what was going on, but I knew it was Axel's fault. 

Whenever I stepped into the classroom, heads turned to me and the whispering began. If I wasn't confident in my social status, I would have felt anxious. But I was just annoyed.

Axel and Van were definitely behind it. Winter Formal was tomorrow, and I assumed that to get me to come, they had decided to use the last-ditch, lowbrow attempt to peer pressure me into attending. 

Yeah, I expected it to some extent. But this was beyond any reasonable scope. Everyone was asking me about it. Strangers, people I kind of knew, 'friends', teachers, hell, even the janitor asked me if I was attending.

I took my regular seat in history after smiling sweetly and waving at the people who greeted me. As soon as I sat, the girl sitting in front of me turned around.

"So, Oliver," she started, her friends turning around as well. What was her name? Oh yeah, Lily or something, and her friends were Mabel, Abby and Dana. Unimportant people, nothing more than side characters in the story that was my life. As I was in theirs, but they were still annoying. 

I grinned at them. "Hey, your hair looks great! Did you get a haircut?" I actually didn't know if anything was different with her hair. I also didn't care.

She blushed. "No, I just curled it."

"Oh," I nodded understandingly as if I cared. "I knew it looked different. It looks great, are you wearing it that way for the Winter Formal?"

She nodded. "Yeah, all of us are. We're matching colours too!"

I really didn't care, I thought as I smiled, making sure to look them all in the eye. "I'm sure you're all going to look great. Make sure to show me the pics, yeah?"

There was an eager series of agreement and Mabel began talking about how excited she was for the photobooth. I nodded along until Dana interrupted.

"Anyways," Dana cleared her throat. "Are you coming, Oliver? I don't have a date," she trailed off, twirling her hair around her finger as she blushed, refusing to make eye contact.

"Seriously?" I acted surprised. "What the hell, how could you not have a date? I mean, look at you!" I looked her up and down, and she blushed. 

"Ah, but sorry, I won't be going to the dance," I continued, pasting a look of deep regret on my face. "I've already made prior engagements..." With my laptop.

"Aww," they whined. 

"But Oliver, you have to come! I can get you a ticket?" One of them offered. 

Tickets were $75 if pre-bought from a member of the student council. It's cute how they would be willing to pay that much just to get me to come. But before I could refuse the offer, they were talking again.