I Have Work To Do

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

New York City was absolutely beautiful during the autumn season, and that was one thing that had caught Marlena's attention the moment she entered the city. The last time Marlena was in New York, she had been in Brooklyn with Hallie and Bucky. And, although still beautiful in the summertime, it could not compare to what she was experiencing at the moment. Not even Washington could compare, and this alone made Marlena want to pack up everything and move to the big city immediately.

She still was not aware of where Steve was taking her, nor was she aware of who he was taking her to. Had she been paying the slightest bit of attention to the two men who were knee-deep in a conversation, she probably would have had some idea as to where and who he was taking her to, but she was far too focused on the scenery, so focused that she wasn't even aware that the car had stopped.

"Marlena," Bucky called, startling her slightly.

She turned to look at him. "What?"

"Are you going to get out or what?" he asked with a chuckle.

Marlena looked back out her window and saw that they had in fact stopped, and she turned back to Bucky, nodded, and followed him. The brisk autumn air hit her like a ton of bricks, and she pulled her jacket over her chest before looking at the building she now stood in front of.

Her mouth fell open in shock, unable to believe her very eyes. She was standing in front of the Avengers Tower, and the luminescent letter A sitting many stories up only further confirmed that. She had seen the building so many times before in pictures and videos, but she had never once seen it in real life. Even if she was given the chance, she never would've imagined being this close to it either. It made her wonder exactly who Steve was taking her to see, and the thought alone made her incredibly nervous. She knew Steve was an Avenger, and she knew Sam and Natasha were as well, but she actually knew the three of them personally. All she knew about anyone in this building was that they were very significant people compared to her; in her eyes she was nothing compared to them.

"Who the hell are you taking me to see, Steve?" Marlena asked, averting her attention away from the enormous building and to the super soldier standing in front of her.

Steve turned around and smirked at her before continuing into the building.

When Marlena made no move to continue on, Bucky grabbed her by the arm and pulled her into the building, much to her despair.

The inside of the building was beautiful and exceedingly luxurious, just as Marlena expected it to be; even the workers were beautiful. This was just another factor that made Marlena feel even more like a nobody, especially considering the way she was dressed compared to everybody else. Her hair was pulled into a messy bun and she wore black leggings, black and white Nike Free Runs, and a grey Nike sweatshirt; everyone else wore pantsuits and heels.