Chap. 55

"Can I have off-campus permission?" I asked Parker, my phone pressed to my ear as I crumpled up a piece of notebook paper, shooting it in the direction of my trash can.

I missed.

"No."

I rolled my eyes. "It's Valentine's Day."

"That's nice."

"What do you expect me to do? Take McKenna to the on-campus shithole of a coffee shop and pick a flower off of the bush outside?"

"Precisely."

I crumpled up another piece of paper, shaking my head as I did so.

I had two options.

I could let my anger take control and let Parker know how incredibly unreasonable he was being.

Or I could reason with his romantic side, the side that rarely came to play. But was present during Valentine's Day, which was just around the corner.

"You have a girlfriend," I reasoned. "I'm sure that you and Emily have plans better than hanging out on Florida State campus."

"Yeah," he drawled, letting out a long sigh. "I'm taking part in a charity fundraiser for my Frat, so I'm being auctioned off for the night to the highest bidder. Emily's thrilled."

"Wait, you're not spending Valentine's Day with her?"

"I don't have a choice," Parker informed me. "I'm a Freshman. There's a charity auction. Freshmen don't get to pick whether they want to participate, it's an order."

"Why do you even want to be in a Fraternity?" I muttered.

"Let's not get into it."

Fine. We were off-topic now anyways.

"I'm not going to run wild across the stress of Tallahassee," I stated. "I just want a night to go out with McKenna."

"And I already told you the answer. Why are we still talking about this?"

"Because you're being unreasonable."

"Based on your track record, I think you're the one asking for too much here."

"I snuck off campus to see you," I reminded him. "Do we really want to start that again?"

"You're on probation Lee," Parker reminded me. "Even if I did agree to give you off-campus permission, which I'm not, I don't even think the school would allow it. I signed the contract, it's done. No off-campus excursions for the remainder of the semester, it says so right here."

"You have a copy of the contract in front of you?"

"Always have back-up for your argument. It ends things a lot quicker. Can I go to sleep now?"

"It's 9:00," I said, checking my phone just to be sure. "It's 9:13," I corrected.

"I didn't realize that you were my personal alarm clock now."

"Give me off-campus permission and I'll stop bothering you," I countered.

"Fuck off Lee. I'm not giving it to you and the school won't allow it anyways."

"Why are you such an asshole?"

I heard him let out a frustrated sigh, as though this conversation was physically draining him.

"You know what? I'm fucking tired of being the bad guy. Do whatever you want." There was a long pause, and I just rolled my eyes. "Oh wait, I'm so sorry, the school won't allow it. Well fuck, I tried to be on your side. Oh well, maybe next time."