12 | You Look...

"You've built your wall so high,
That no one could climb it.
But I'm gonna try.
Would you let me see beneath your beautiful?
Would you let me see beneath your perfect?
Take it off now girl,
I wanna see inside."

I stared at the girl in front of me, blinking slowly. She had luscious black inky tresses that was tied up neatly into a low bun, a small cheery blossom stuck above her ear. Her cheeks were flushed, glowing; and her eyes were a bright chocolate brown. Her lips parted, and a pink triangle darted out and left her bottom lip wet. Her pale skin almost contrasted against the charcoal black kimono she wore, making the skin look creamy and soft to the touch. I realised, with slight bewilderment, that this girl was me.

"You look amazing!" Emily gushed, tightening the green sash around my waist. She was already in her kimono, looking absolutely flawless. I stared at myself in the mirror, still dumbfounded by the way I looked. Emily had refused to let me look at my reflection while she did my hair and makeup, and when I finally did see how I looked, I couldn't recognise myself.

"Wow," I breathed, a hesitant hand reaching up to cup my cheek. The girl in the mirror followed me.

"It really is me in the mirror," I whispered under my breath. Emily cast me a glance, smiling kindly. "I look different. A good different."

Emily nodded, "You're gorgeous, you know? Whether or not you're in a kimono or uniform."

"Thank you," I said, smiling sincerely. "You're very pretty too."

Emily grinned, before clapping her hands together and checking the time on her iPhone. Her eyes widened slightly, and she stood up in a start.

"We're five minutes late!" she squeaked. "We have to go now."

Eyes widening slightly, I took one more glance in the mirror and headed out of my room, trailing behind Emily. I think we were the only ones that were late.

True enough, the entire hallway that housed our rooms were empty and dimly-lit. Everyone must've left long ago.

Following blindly behind Emily, we stopped short behind a big door. Collecting our breaths, she gave me a reassuring nod before opening it and stepping in.

Immediately, the light almost blinded me. Blinking harshly to clear my vision, I smiled sheepishly at the group of people in front of me. Everyone seemed shocked to see me and Emily. I caught Yuko's eye for a brief moment, before I quickly averted my gaze to the ground.

"Sorry for being late," I said quietly. "We lost track of time."

Emily nodded beside me, smiling nervously. Sakura Hideyoshi blinked, before breaking out into a large smile.

"Ah! Marissa, yes? And you must be Emily! No worries, my dear, we didn't wait long," Yuko's mother said, standing up gracefully from her seat. She was clad in a beautiful emerald green satin kimono, which made her pale skin stand out. Not a wrinkle was seen on her face, save for the laughter lines around her eyes. She sure aged well, for a woman in her sixties.

"Come on, come on," she rushed, gesturing for us to take a seat.

Flushing, I sat down on the empty seat next to Yuko. I awkwardly caught Siobhan's eye from directly across the table. She looked beautiful clad in a dark blue kimono, as always. It wasn't a big surprise why she had so many boys falling over their feet for her- Yuko Hideyoshi included.