SIX (EDITED)

Harry leans across a desk, palms flat on the surface as he speaks to a distinguished man sitting in a chair behind the desk

Harry leans across a desk, palms flat on the surface as he speaks to a distinguished man sitting in a chair behind the desk. His face is stoic as Harry steps away, eyes dilating in confusion when he sees me.

"Ah," The man behind the desk says. "You must be Rose." He smiles. "Robert Crystal, CEO of Crystal Publishing." He stands and walks over to me, hand outstretched.

I shake it tentatively, trying to ignore Harry's intense stare. "It's a pleasure," I say.

"No," Mr. Crystal says. "I believe the pleasure is mine." He seems to be relieved I rescued him from Harry and his yelling.

"Mr. Greenman directed me to drop off this manuscript edited," I tell him, placing it on his desk.

"Ah, of course," he says, picking it up. "Let's talk about it, shall we?

"Mr. Crystal," Harry interjects, "We weren't finished speaking-"

"What's done is done, Mr. Styles, there's nothing you can do about it," Mr. Crystal sighs.

"Yes, there is," Harry says. "There's a simple solution-"

"I'm sorry," Mr. Crystal says, "What's done is done."

Harry's cheeks flush. "With all due respect, Mr. Crystal, are you out of your damn mind?"

My jaw drops at the way Harry is speaking to his superior. It was one thing with Mr. Greenman, but this seems to take it to a whole new level.

"Go back to work, Styles."

"I won't go back to work until these budget cuts are reduced by at least six percent."

"You may be the best accountant we've got, Styles, but I can still bloody well fire you!" Mr. Crystal shouts.

Harry swallows, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down. "Look, I know I'm a slacker. I know I don't get a lot done. But you need to listen to me about these cuts, crystal, because if you don't this company is going down." Harry takes one last look at Mr. Crystal before turning and stalking out of the office.

Mr. Crystal sighs, shaking his head as he sits back at his desk. "Two hours," He says. "New record."

"He comes up here a lot?" I ask, taking a seat.

"Oh, at least twice a quarter. Has a complaint of some sort on how this company is run." Mr. Crystal shuffles some papers around on his desk. He reads over one paper and shakes his head. I sit silently as he arranges and rearranges the multiple papers on his desk, shaking his head. "I hate to admit it, but the boy may be right."

I shift in my seat. "Everyone says he's the best accountant," I say. "Maybe you should try listening to him?" I have no idea why I'm helping Harry here, but if it's for the good of the company (not to mention my job), I might as well.

Mr. Crystal shuffles more papers and reads a few. He clenches his jaw. "Damn it," Mr. Crystal curses. He presses a button on the telephone on his desk. "Get Styles back in here," He snaps.

Within seconds, Harry bursts through the doors, breathless. "You wanted me back?" He asks hopefully.

"I thought about what you said," Mr. Crystal says. "And you may be right."

Relief washes over Harry's face before it's replaced with a smug grin. "Thank you," He says.

"You can thank Rose here for giving me a second thought about it," Mr. Crystal says. Harry's eyes flash to me. I look down.

"Well," Harry says. "Thank you, Mr. Crystal. You won't regret this decision, you'll save loads of money."

Mr. Crystal nods and Harry exits the office, looking at me one last time.

As I hear the door shut, I rise to my feet. "I should probably get going," I say. "It was a pleasure meeting you."

Mr. Crystal nods. "Likewise, Miss Knight. I look forward to seeing more of your work, if this manuscript is as fantastically edited as Greenman says it is." He smiles at me.

I nod and thank him again before walking out of the office. I notice that it's past four already and time to go home, although I don't know where the time has gone.

I hurry back to my desk and gather my things. I sling my bag shoulder and sigh, pushing my hair out of my face. I nod goodbye to Marion and take the elevators down to the ground floor.

It doesn't surprise me to see Harry leaning against the front doors to the building. His eyes find mine and he pockets his phone, standing up straight.

I break eye contact with him as I walk past, ignoring him.

"Rose," He calls after me, falling into step alongside me.

"Hmm."

"Why did you help me?" I stop walking, turning to look at him.

"What?"

"You convinced Crystal to side with me. Why?"

I shrug. "I want to have my job for more than three years."

Harry tenses his jaw. "I could have convinced him on my own."

"Well, obviously you couldn't."

"What I'm saying is that I don't need your help," He snaps.

"Why don't you just thank me?" I huff, getting annoyed with his attitude.

"Because I didn't even ask for your help."

"God, Harry, you are a real piece of work. Next time you're failing at saving the company, don't expect me to step in." I continue walking, anger coursing through my veins.

"It was for the good of your job, too!" He shouts after me.

"I wish it wasn't good for your job, because you do nothing but annoy everyone!" I yell back, yanking open my car door and sliding inside. I back out of the lot as fast as I can so I won't run into Harry at the apartment building, turning on the radio to try to soothe my temper.