Chapter Fifty-Two

Have you ever watched a movie, usually a comedy, where everything under the sun goes wrong and the protagonist trying to stay optimistic says "well it's not like it could get any worse" and it instantly begins storming? Or perhaps they utter the idiotic words "what could go wrong" fate of course laughs in their face and responds with "let me show you."

Let me just say.

Fate 1.

Kate 0.

When I said "I'll be fine." Scoffing as Alessio expressed concern for me and going to work, well I really hadn't anticipated what was going to happen after.

I raised my head slowly from the steering wheel to look at the front of my car, it was smoking, but still upright. That was a good start. But boy was Alessio going to be furious if he found out the airbags didn't deploy, such an expensive car and the airbags didn't even work right. I had half a mind to write a strongly written letter to the company.

After I found my sunglasses.

I'd had a pair of sunglasses in the cup holder and I couldn't find them anywhere.

Someone yelled my name out. When I looked to my left Simone was at the side of the door. Really, it was unnecessary to be yelling. I could hear him perfectly fine and the window was down, no, wait, maybe it had just been broken? "I can't find my sunglasses." I informed him gravely so he would know how serious the situation was.

He gripped the door with one hand as though the jagged edges of shattered glass couldn't harm him. Did he think himself to be invincible? In the other he help his gun. "You need to get out of the car." He said and looked around cautiously. "You need to get out now."

"But my glasses-" I protested.

"It's dark out." He said impatiently and reached through the broken window to unlock the door. He tugged on the door hard but it didn't budge. Such a sweet car, and so damaged. "Your car is smoking, the bastards who ran you off the road could be just around the corner, if your car catches fire or they catch up to us-" He paused for a second to pull especially forcefully and then smacked the car. "We are both dead." He finished with a grunt.

"I can't find them anywhere."

"Would you forget the glasses for a minute Kate and just-"

I ignored him as I rooted around.

He reached through the car window to take the key out of the ignition. "Where's your fob."

"Probably with my sunglasses..." I muttered.

"Okay." He said suddenly gently. "We'll get you out of the car, I will find your glasses, let doc take a look at you-"

"N-no. I c-can't. Doctors – Alessio – The car – Nash - I, oh my God where are they?" I screamed.

"You don't need your bloody sunglasses!" He yelled back. "It's night! It's dark! You need to get out." He was at the passengers side of the door suddenly. It came open and he leaned in.

"No!" I yelled and tried frantically to smack his hands away. "I. Need. Alessio!"

"If I find your key fob Alessio will be here in no time along with plenty of back up because who knows how many guys they have lurking around." He started rooting around the car floor and I thought maybe he might have finally grasped how much I needed my sunglasses, but the moment he found the key fob he gave up the search.

A press of the panic button did nothing. Poor broken car.

Alessio was going to be so mad. I realized suddenly how loud it was! Sirens, and people yelling to one another. I looked to my left and there was a fire fighter trying to talk to me, something about getting my door open. I looked back to Simone for answers but he was on the phone now talking in Italian, his gun discreetly tucked away.

Firefighters we literally cutting the door of my car off. "It's my boyfriend's car." I tried explaining to them. "He'll be so mad, it was expensive. I think. Probably. God I don't even know how much it was. I can't find my glasses anywhere."

"Don't you worry about such things. I'm sure he has insurance." One firefighter tried helpfully. He hadn't been working on the car, this entire time he had done nothing but try to talk to me. To calm me down with little success.

I tried to unbuckle myself at this point but my hands didn't work the way I wanted them to. With muttered words of encouragement Simone unbuckled me. I turned to the left as they pried my door off and suddenly the two diligent firefighters were shoved to the side.

"I'm sorry." Were the first words I breathed when I saw Alessio and then I began the cry.

He looked mad. Definitely mad. Simone had probably been following me all night, which means that Simone had seen me with Nash, which means that Alessio knew I was with "Matteo" and he was going to kill us both.

I had called him with honest intentions. Intentions that had absolutely nothing to do with my friendship with Nash and everything to do with the spy the Bonnano had in the Genovese. Talking over the phone was never an option, because you could never know if the phone was bugged. So we had met up, argued for almost an hour as Nash was insisted he didn't know who was in the Genovese, only that he was definitely not killed last night. We'd left, and minutes later my car was T-boned.

I kept repeating how sorry I was over and over again until he cupped my face in his palms. "Katherine, you remember that silly little brain of yours I always tease you about? Well if you don't calm down and breathe it's going to run out of oxygen and you're going to pass out." He said gently, I almost couldn't hear him over the sound of the sirens.

"I lost my glasses." I finally admitted.

"Baby you don't wear glasses."

"Oh."

He took my hand in his own and kissed it.

"I'm sorry." I began repeating again as he stepped aside and let the firefighters work to pull me from the car.

Simone came around the back of the car and Pietro wisely stopped him before he made it all the way around to Alessio who probably had less than pleasant things to say at the moment.

God, he must be so mad that I was with Matteo tonight and on top of that I ruined his car. The paramedics were trying to strap me down and I was panicking.

"She said she doesn't want fȕcking strapped down are you deaf, or just stupid?" He began yelling at the paramedics who tried to explain to him calmly that if I wasn't strapped down I could receive more injuries or worsen ones I already had. "She won't. She better not." He'd warned and then he'd wheeled the stretcher I was on, still sitting up, into the back of the ambulance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meh. Happy Monday. This is your Monday update, posted Sunday night because I've been sick since Tuesday and there's no sinking way I'm staying up until midnight to post this so I'm just posting it now rather than Monday morning after waking up to a bunch of disgruntled readers angry with a late update.

This chapter. Something I've had planned for a long time but wasn't really satisfied. Back to back updates because the shortness and quality of this chapter just doesn't satisfy me.

In regards to Kate's obsession with her sunglasses and stupidity, people do odd things when they are in shock lol.

Vote and comment *thumbs up*

If you've missed it the preview for book three is up, so head over to "Kissing the Moon Goodbye" to read the preview and see the trailer, add the book to your library so that when book two is finished you will get the notifications when I start publishing chapters to book three.