Dove

It took me a minute to process the scene in front of me, my eyes didn't know what to focus on first. The room was huge. I wasn't sure what the warehouse had been used for before, but abandoned crates where stacked everywhere, taking up most of the space. One side of the room was filled with metal cages, not unlike the ones Kane had in his basement, but these were rusted and filthy.

Some of the cages were empty, but some were not. A few had occupants in the form of the giant wolves that had been roaming around our quiet little town. At the sight of me they went wild, snarling and jumping against the bars of the cages. I felt myself recoil in shock.

The middle of the room held a table and chairs. Laid out on the table were all manner of torture devices. I saw knives, and whips, and some things I couldn't even identify. I felt my heart skip a beat at the macabre scene. If Kelsey or Bradley had been touched there would be hell to pay.

Men were scattered around, some lounging in chairs, others leaned up against crates. I counted ten heartbeats. What? Surely I couldn't really hear their heartbeats... but that was sure as hell what it seemed like. If for some reason I had developed super powers this was the time for it.

I realized that I could also smell them. Musty and aggressive, they made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Finally my eyes focused on what I had subconsciously been avoiding. Kelsey was tied up in one of the wooden chairs. Her face looked a little swollen, and there was blood on her shirt. She was still wearing the clothes she had worn to work. It seemed like it had been years since she dropped me off.

Her hands where tied behind her back, and she had duct tape over her mouth. Her eyes met mine and they were scared. I was going to fix this no matter what it took. Bradley was sitting on the floor beside her. His little hands tied in front of him, and silent tears running down his face. My heart clenched at the sight of him. These men would die tonight.

Finally my gaze settled on the man standing beside her. He wasn't anything impressive. If I had passed him on the street I wouldn't have even given him a second glance. He was Spanish, his dark skin and hair giving him away. I didn't remember hearing an accent, so I figured he had been born in America.

I felt like hours were passing with my slow entrance into the room, but I knew it had been mere seconds. Time was slowing for me as my mind tried to process everything I was seeing.

"Ah so nice of you to finally join us! Your friend has been very excited to see you!" the man said. His fingers trailed down Kelsey's cheek, and my anger was given more fuel.

"Take your hands off of her," my voice was a growl.

I may not have been able to take care of myself, but I would be damned if I stood around and watched someone else get hurt. Jason had always said I didn't have a backbone, but Jason had never messed with anyone I loved.

"My my little dove. Someone is feeling confident."

He grabbed a handful of Kelsey's hair and yanked her head back. His hand tightened around her throat.

"You said you would let them go. In fact, you vowed it," my skin started to tingle again, and the corner's of he man's mouth tightened.

"Ah yes. I wouldn't want to break my word."

He pulled a knife out from behind his back and cut Kelsey's ropes. Once she was free she pulled the duct tape off her mouth, but remained silent. She watched as he cut the rope binding Bradley, and then snatched the boy up into her arms. His cries were louder now, and I could hear her shushing him.

"Sebastian, please escort our guests home, and stay with them until I call you."

One of the men in the room peeled off the wall, and pulled a gun out of it's holster. The barrel came to rest on Kelsey's back, and with a gruff 'move' they started toward me. I wanted to reach out to Kelsey, but with the gun on her I didn't dare.