Chapter Thirteen

A/N: This is late. That's really bad. I'm having this half writer's block but not really kind of thing, I dunno it's weird. Anyways, my chapters will be much better from now on! Love you guys and thank you so much for your support! I appreciate every single vote, comment and read <3

-Sophia, xoxo

••••

My blood runs cold and I stop thinking as I stare into two blazing orbs of swirling gold and steel. If it wasn't from the murderous glint in those eyes I would have been hypnotized by their beauty. The only thing capable of bringing me back to reality - besides the obnoxious growling from Zander's presence behind me - is Mary's urgent pounds of her fists on my shoulder. I stroke her hair and take a secretive, deep breath, keeping a shaky lid on my fear. The huge beast in front of me tilts its head and the nostrils on its snout flare as if it senses my emotion. Any doubts or questions about their existence that should only belong in horror stories leave my mind in a flash as I tighten my grip on my little sister.

"This is what you wanted, isn't it? The truth," The thing that appears to be Asher in front of me snarls, barely audibly as its tone comes out in an animalistic and primal growl. 

"You should be running. Why aren't you running," Zander butts in behind me, and I cast a quick glance over my shoulder, mustering up enough courage to narrow my eyes. I know these - things. They might be scary, but I know them. 

"I would be if I wasn't so concerned about keeping my head on my body," snap. 

"That's dumb. Staying here wouldn't prevent that," Zander snaps back, and I almost roll my eyes at his idiocy.

Almost. Right now, it seems as though I've got priorities.

"Do you honestly think that I'd ever be able to outrun you," I retort. The lycanthrope frowns - yes, it frowns. I swallow and continue in a stiff voice. "Exactly. I'd rather save my energy making a deal."

"A deal?" Asher cuts in, and I focus my narrowed eyes on him, shielding my little sisters face in my sweater protectively.

"Yes. Let us live and-"

"We're not going to kill you dumbass," Zander says as if I'm the dumbest idiot on the planet. I shoot him a furtive glare. 

"No you wouldn't because Emma would skin you alive," I reply, earning another growl from his part, before turning my gaze back to Asher. "It's him I'm concerned about."

"I'm debating it." Asher shrugs nonchalantly, keeping his heavy gaze trained on me. I avert my eyes and take a step around them. When I move, his mouth pulls back and reveals massive, gleaming canines. A drop of saliva actually splatters down onto the ground. I don't know where my sudden courage is coming from, besides the inevitable urge to protect my sister from harm. And I would never doubt that these two immense creatures before me wouldn't hesitate to rip us to pieces, given the chance, even though they seem to still have a hold on their humanity. I have to tread carefully because even though I might know them, right now, they're everything but human. I take another step away from them and gaze upwards slightly, only enough to see the look of pure fury in Asher's eyes. 

All of a sudden a strong hand grips mine and liquid fire sizzles up my arm. I let out a surprised yelp when sharp claws graze my skin. Asher retrieves his beast's hand and looks at me with an indecipherable expression. Where the claws have just been are little rivers of blood trickling through my light sleeve. He takes a step back and stares at his shaking hand.