The Raven Girl- chapter 54

White moonlight shone over my hands making them appear white as marble. I looked at them with a kind of disjointed wonder, and then shuddered at the angry streaks of red that broke apart that marble complexion. If the Gods truly favoured me, then why did I feel like the angels had abandoned me? The wound in my abdomen was leaking blood. I had no accelerating healing. I had no medical attention. All I had that moment in time was Edvard, who stood in front of me sobbing like a child. He held the knife he stabbed me with, firmly in his right hand.  That hand shook violently as he stared down at me.

 “I swear, I won’t let you die.” He cried repeatedly.

Really? Sometimes I wish you would. I didn’t mind that forest of death I had seen in my dream. I would be with the dragon then and perhaps I could be with the old Gods. Death didn’t seem so bad now I had lost everything- now that I had lost my baby.

Edvard dropped to the floor and crawled to me. He pressed his hand over my wound, swearing to keep me from dying. He wrapped his arm around me and pushed his cheek against mine in a half embrace. The smell of burning flesh filled the air. Edvard pulled away when the pain got too much.

“I’m sorry Ebony, I had to do this. I had to kill the seed he planted in you.” He explained.

The subtle mention of my baby brought overwhelming anger and grief to the surface. Edvard tried to reach out for me again, his pawed at my face, making my flesh crawl. Raising my hand I pushed hard against his chest. Sparks flew from my palms. Joy swept over me for a second- could I heal myself? Could I heal my baby? Silently I willed the sparks to help me and my baby.

Edvard stood up confused, then sat down, he moved forward, then back, he embraced me and then pulled away. His movements were odd and I didn’t understand what he was doing until I saw the knife he had dropped levitate up from the ground back into his right arms. I stood up and Edvard thrust the knife in me again then pulled it out. The wound disappeared, as did the blood. The sparks had turned back time. Edvard was now stood in front of me once again, getting ready to stab me. As time returned to normal, Edvard lunged forward and I sidestepped. Edvard stumbled clutching the knife and tripped over himself. He let out a cry of pain as he fell onto his own knife. Stepping backwards I watched Edvard pull the knife from his gut. Blood began to permeate through his clothes.

“Look what you’ve done.” He sighed irritably.

 Run.

That word flashed in my head like an angry neon sign. My legs felt frozen but I forced myself to bolt towards the door. Yanking the door open I found the corridor unguarded. Running hard and fast I heard Edvard calling out after me.

‘Run to the forest.’ A voice inside me whispered.

Edvard’s fortress was simple and crude and finding the exit was no problem. I ran out the door into the snow heading towards the forest. I could hear Edvard running after me, screaming my name. What the hell was I going to do once I got into the forest?

The Dragon King Erik Draca POV

“Nothing burns brighter or harder than the dragon fire.”

That is what my father once told me.

There was no greater flame than that of the dragons… but…

In the land of legends, we have our own legends and my Grandfather once told me that there was only one flame that bested a dragon’s flame- a fox’s flame. While the dragon possessed a flame made of wicked fire, the fox possessed a flame made out of pure spirit. Its flame was deadly bending to its master’s will. It could burn one enemy and yet tickle warmly over an ally.