Chapter Twenty

Alana felt as if she had been doused in cold water. Every exhilarating emotion that had flowed through her body a moment ago had all but dissolved like mist.

            She stared questionably at Fallon whose body was as rigid as stone. He appeared angry and avoided her all together. He mumbled something to the man on the other side and than slowly closed the door.

            Feeling quite the fool, Alana turned away the moment their eyes would have connected. How should she feel? She wondered confusingly. Should she be angry or relieved? She realized she had no right to be angry. She would have given herself freely to this Norman if not for the sudden circumstances. She decided that it was in her best interest. She had vowed that she would not submit to his advances and just like that, she had nearly crumbled under her defenses. Was she that naïve to his desires?

             She felt his eyes upon her but what was there to say?

            “Alana-“

            Despite her best efforts to forget the passions sparked between them, she couldn’t help but feel slightly hurt. She turned around and met those amber eyes. Lifting her chin, she asked with an unfeeling tone, “Is there ought I to can do for you, milord?”

            Her impassive manner did not go unaware and his demeanor quickly hardened. He sensed the change in her and was displeased but Alana no longer cared. She had forgotten her most essential priority; escaping Linden, and now that Fallon had a distraction, escape would seem achievable.

            “Nay.” He replied darkly, studying her intensely with his gold eyes.

            She nodded curtly and left the room.

            Fallon stalked angrily to the great hall, his mood black as he stormed through the corridors. The image of Alana in his arms stilled burned heavily in his mind as well as her blank expression when she had left the chamber.

            He had struggled to lower what defenses he had and in a split second, her barriers were replaced, blocking him entry.

            He was in a foul mood and had little intention of making his betroth comfortable. The woman had no right showing up unintended without his knowledge. He could wring the McLeod’s neck with his hands for this interference!

            When he reached the great hall, he shoved the doors wide enough to crash loudly against the opposing walls, startling the woman standing amidst the dais. Seeing the McLeod woman standing so formally within his hall irked his nerves and she was not alone.

            His anger growing, Fallon surveyed the number of men aligned along the wall, taking note that all were armed and equipped in battle armor.

            Raising a golden brow, he cast a dark glare on his betroth. “Is there a reason these men have come armed, milady?”