Chapter 24

Waking up the next morning, Luna discovered she was glad she had done all her packing yesterday, when she saw both Alice and Lily hurrying around the room, cursing themselves as they tried to put everything away before breakfast.

"What time is it?" Luna asked around a big yawn as she propped herself up onto her elbows, and Lily paused only briefly to glance at the watch on her wrist.

"Seven-thirty. Breakfast is at eight." Lily said, then frowned. "Have you seen my red sweater anywhere?"

"I can see it under your bed, Evans." Luna said as she stood up out of her own bed and headed for the bathroom. She didn't put too much effort into straightening herself out for the morning- she brushed her teeth, washed her face, and ran her fingers through her hair. She could worry about makeup and other such things later, if she had the time. For now, she simply wanted breakfast, and maybe a good-morning hug from Sirius.

"I think I'm going to head out to the common room, see if anyone else is up." She told Lily as she headed back into the commotion-filled dorm. "If that's alright. You seem busy enough with the packing and what not-"

"Yeah! Um- go on, I'll meet you down for breakfast." Lily said in a distracted manner, frowning at two different sweaters she held in her hands. As Luna left the room, she could hear her friend- "Mary, is this yours or mine? I can't tell-"

Rolling her eyes, she skipped the last step and landed into the common room with a small 'thud'. Morning light already shown through the windows of the common room, lighting up in the spring what the fire did in the winter; the red walls, the cozy couches, the chairs. And currently, the black-haired boy that was sprawled out onto the couch. Luna smiled.

"Morning, James."

"Luna?" James raised his head, looking over at her with surprise. "Thank Merlin, someone else is awake."

"Everyone else sleeping in?"

"Well, I think Remus is just a little hungover, but besides that, yes." James smiled. "Sleep well?"

"I did." Luna said, coming to crash beside him on the couch. "I'm going to miss that bed."

"I promise the one you have waiting for you back home is twice as comfy." James said, and Luna's smile widened at the thought.

"I'm excited to completely collapse into it once graduation is over, then." She said, and James laughed.

"Understandable. I reckon you'll want to stay up for dinner though- mum's baking, and I did promise you that the food will be the best you'll ever eat. Not that you don't have all summer and what not, but graduation will probably earn some fine dishes on the table tonight." He said, lips pulling up a little at the thought. Luna grinned.

"Okay, I'll stay up for dinner. And then I'll collapse." She decided. James nodded.

"Sounds great." He said, and then his tone softened. "I'm glad you're coming to stay with us. My mom will enjoy having another girl in the house, what with Sirius, dad, and I running around all the time."

"I'll enjoy having a mom around who isn't a horrendous bitch." Luna said with as much false-enthusiasm as she could muster. She chuckled quietly though, taking on a serious tone. "I am excited to meet her though. It's going to be great."

"She'll make you clean." James warned good-naturedly. Luna shrugged

"I'll live. I'm seventeen- magic can help." She said with a wry grin. James nodded.

"Admittedly, true." He agreed. He turned his head then, looking back as though to make sure no one was sneaking up behind them before he turned back to Luna. "And we have a place for full moons too. Dad had it made when Remus could come and stay for the Holidays."