~66~

Lexi waited until the scrying mirror had gone dark before uttering another curse. Why had Hades made such a reckless decision? He knew it was a long shot that she would convince the council to abolish the hunt. Clearly, he had been under a lot of stress, with the threat of a minotaur rebellion, her trip to Olympus, Persephone's illness. Even a god made stupid choices, apparently. Had Hades told anyone else about his blood offering to the minotaurs? Surely, Hecate knew about it.

The emergency council meeting was set to happen any moment, and Lexi would use it to make another point about the minotaur hunt, but she had to come up with an iron clad case to present to them. She just needed to find a quiet place to come up with it.

As she turned away from the mirror, she walked straight into Poseidon. He had donned his blood red robe, which didn't surprise her, but his grim frown and downturned gaze threw her off. Was it a look of shame? Was it remorse? Whatever the emotion, it was highlighted by a purple shiner around his left eye.

"Lexi, will you permit me a few words in private?" He spoke softly, almost reverently, and Lexi studied him for a moment to make sure she had not mistaken him for some other, less selfish god.

"You're asking for my permission? I didn't think that was something the mighty Poseidon was capable of."

"Please, Lexi."

"Pleading? Now that I have heard." Lexi sighed, wishing she had the nerve to knee the arrogant, sex-obsessed jerk in his dick, but she wouldn't stoop to his level. Besides, she was still feeling the high of resurrecting a god, and she refused to let Poseidon ruin it. "Fine, but nowhere too private. You'll want someone to find your body if the conversation takes a bad turn."

Poseidon raised an eyebrow, a painful maneuver based on the grimace that followed. "Let's just sit in this courtyard."

He waved them toward a row of pillars dividing the main palace from an outside patio. Lexi took a seat in a high backed rocker next to a shrub pruned into the shape of a swan and Poseidon sat next to a deer. Several moments of silence passed, in which Lexi thought of a few choice words she wanted to hurl at him, but she let him have his say first.

"I am not sure where to begin," he began. "Apologies do not come easy to me. I have been at this game a long time, during which I have had command of immense power. It takes a great deal to get my attention, and you have gotten my attention. It would be a lie to say I was not first struck by your beauty, the grace in your stature, the friendliness in your smile, and those eyes that remind me of the sea. From that moment, I wanted to possess you. Now, before you judge me for being a shallow prick, I want you to know that those are not the reasons I felt compelled to come to you today. The reasons I was drawn to you last night."

Lexi reached up to her shoulder, touching the place where she had imagined Hades biting her in the heat of passion. Poseidon noticed this gesture and hung his head like a dog being shamed after misbehaving. "Lexi, I will not offer excuses for my behavior. You have every right to turn me away and never speak to me again. Believe me, other goddesses have done worse, but I cannot live with the guilt of having thrown away the chance to bask in your divine presence. To have you smile at me with the warmth you offer anyone fortunate enough to receive it. To be your friend. I come to you asking not for forgiveness, because I know my actions were beyond the pale of what is due a goddess of your virtue and benevolence. I come to you asking for your mercy."

Poseidon left his chair and lowered himself in front of Lexi, pressing his forehead to her knee. She was stunned that a god of his might and imperious reputation would make such a show of submission, and she glanced around to see if anyone was watching. This would be what some might call a fortuitous situation. When he said he was asking for her mercy, did he also mean he was at her mercy? She tapped Poseidon on the shoulder, and he slowly lifted his head.