Chapter Nine

🔺Joe

*Dani*

  "When did you get home?" I asked hugging him not caring if I got him wet.

  "Get off me you crazy wet lady," Joe laughed and I jumped off him. "I just got in like two hours ago."

  "Give me a second," I said when I saw Gina and Angel standing on the edge of dock, walking up behind them I pushed them into the water. "Love you."

  "Did you see their faces," Joe laughed and I giggled. "Who's was in the water with you?"

  "Cater," I said hopping up on the bed of Daddy's truck. "He's back in town for a little while."

  "The dumbass that hurt you," Joe said angrily. "Do I need to kick his ass?"

  "No," I said looking over at Carter. "Everyone else has already beat the crap out of him. How long are you in town for?"

  "Three weeks," Joe said. "Although I'm glad to see your smiling again."

  "I do smile," I said slapping his shoulder. "Meanie."

  "I'm was talking about a real smile," he chuckled. "Not the fake ones you always do. Anyway, how are the pups?"

  "Soldier and Ranger are good," I laughed. "Ranger's cast should be coming off in a couple weeks. Enough about me, how have you been? I know you were distant when you left last time you were on leave."

  "I'm good," Joe said his voice cracking slightly.

  "Joe," I said turning his head towards me and saw his eyes shining with unshed tears. "You know its ok to cry every now and then. Everyone loved her."

  "I miss her," Joe whispered laying his head on my shoulder. "So much. I didn't even get to say goodbye. Her family blames me since it was my gun that was used."

  "It wasn't your fault," I said rocking us. "No one could have known that he was going to kill her. Never blame yourself for something that you had no control over."

  "Ok, love you," he mumbled and I smiled hugging him.

*Carter*

"Got your text," Jake said. "What's up?"

"Sage called me and threatened Dani," I said leaning against a tree watching her talk to the Joe dude.

"Who the hell is Dani?" Jake asked confused before muttering something.

"The girl in the pick you found in my room," I sighed glaring at them when he hugs her and she smiles hugging him back.

"CARTER," Jake yelled and I dragged my eyes away from them.

"What?" I snapped annoyed.

"What crawled up your...behind," Jake said and I heard a door close. "Sorry my mom way glaring at me and I do not want to deal with another lecture on my sailors mouth. My dad swears more than I do and she never gets on to him about it."

"Whatever," I grumbled. "Sage knows about Dani and he implied that he was going to hurt her. Have you been trying to find him?"

"Yeah," Jake said. "Nothing so far but he won't stay hidden to much longer, especially if he want you."

"That's what worries me," I sighed. "I'm afraid that when he makes a move he will hurt her. I can't be the reason she get hurt again."

"Again?"

"You know the letters I write every week?"

"Yeah, what about them?"

"They're for Dani but when I sent them she never got any of them." I said.

"Damn," Jake whistled. "Shit, I'll let you know if I find anything. The demon is yelling for me."

  "Good luck," I chuckled tossing my phone I Dani's bag. "Hey princess."

  "Carter," she squealed looking back at me. "Don't do that."

  "Sorry," I chuckled lowly.

  "I'm gonna go talk to mom," Joe said standing up and glared at me. "Don't hurt her again."

  "Who was that?" I asked sitting behind Dani pulling her to my chest.

  "Do you not remember?" Dani asked me shocked, "Joe's my little brother, Travis and Mom."

  "Little brother?" I mumbled cursing myself. "I'm an idiot."

  "What?" Dani asked confused.

  "Nothing," I said changing the subject. "Having fun?"

  "Yes," she smiled watching her parents and siblings talk and play in the water.

---

{Quote:

"To the world you may be one person; but to one person you may be the world." -Dr. Seuss}