Chapter 28: Birthday Hangover

You know how you feel after having a really good day; like the lull after Christmas? You had so much fun and now it's over, leaving your life feeling less than desirable. Or like reading a really good book and you're sad it's over, especially when the next book you start to read is just average in comparison. Yeah, that's me right about now.

After missing school for a while, it was time to go back and finish up my first year of community college, so I'd been gathering my things, getting ready for my first day back. For once, I was glad I didn't have a lot of friends and no one really paid any attention to me, meaning I wouldn't have to explain the craziness that literally took over my life, causing my extended absence. With the write-up from the hospital, my teachers were allowing me to review the recorded online classes I'd missed and continue to make my work up so I wouldn't be so behind, losing those coveted course credits I so desperately needed. I was just glad it was almost over and hoped next year would go much smoother.

I'd talked to Mom this morning about getting a job so I could move out, but as usual, she discouraged it. "Honey, you're still so young. Why do you want to take on the responsibility of a job, college, bills, not to mention still being able to have a personal life? Speaking of that, how did your birthday date go?"

I couldn't help but smile. "It was nice."

"From the look on your face, and the fact that it's turning ten different shades of red, I think it was better than nice. What did you two do?"

"Oh, we went to dinner and a movie, then we... ate cake. Oh, look what he got me," I quickly added as I held out the necklace he'd gotten me.

"How pretty," she said, taking it from me. "It doesn't look very new, though; more like an antique."

"Well, the cross is, actually, but the necklace is new."

"That boy has nice taste," she smiled at me, "especially in who he dates."

"Thanks, Mom."

"Listen, I know we've had the talk and all, but you're older, now, and I want to make sure—"

"Mom," I interrupted, not wanting to have this discussion for the second time, since talk one was bad enough. "You don't have to worry about that." I didn't elaborate, admitting to nothing, but letting her know I wasn't stupid.

"I'm your mother and just want to make sure you're being safe."

"Mom, you don't have to worry. I'm being safer than you could ever imagine." Between being on birth control for ovarian cysts, using a condom, wearing the blessed cross, my new key-chain pepper spray, and Nick packing heat (thinking of it like that made me blush again), not to mention the taser he said he was going to buy me, I was being safer than I'd ever been.

"Okay." She looked at me for a minute, making me afraid of what was fixing to come out of her mouth next. "Listen, if you really want your own place, maybe me and your dad can talk about it and see what we can do to help you out. I know his friend, Steve, was looking for some help at his restaurant. You'd be able to work out a schedule around school, and with your personality, I'm sure you'd make a lot of money in tips."

"A waitress? I was thinking more along the lines of a cashier in a quiet grocery store or something."

"Well, you want something that's worth your time, and I know Steve's staff does well. You could always just go talk to him and see; make up your mind then. I just don't want you to take on too much. You know I've always wanted you and Kylie to focus on school more than anything else, which is why we've never let you work. Kylie is already wanting a part-time job after school, too, so she'll have extra spending money." She shrugged. "Maybe we should let you girls have a little more responsibility."