Twelve - [Cat Fight.]

"Are you going to tell me yet what's wrong with you?"

It had been nearly a week since Brantley and I had argued, and the two of us hadn't spoken since. We hadn't so much as looked at each other. Whenever we ran into each other, we acted like the other person isn't in the room. We had a stiff way of ignoring each other.

Callie, Rose and I were eating breakfast at the diner that she worked at, and I stifled a laugh. She had been prying for the past six days, trying to get me to talk about it. But I didn't want to talk to her about her brother.

"Nope," I said, shaking my head as I put some creamer in my coffee.

"Does it have to do with Brantley?" She asked, raising her eyebrows at me.

I leaned back in the booth, taking a drink of my coffee.

"What makes you think that?" I asked.

"Because we've talked about everything, Kennedy. Everything. But when it comes to this, you haven't made a peep. I can only make one conclusion," She said smugly, her tone matter of fact.

"I don't want to talk you about your brother, Cal. It's weird," I said, wrinkling my nose at her.

"Did he do something stupid? Do you want me to kick his ass? Because I can. He won't hit me," She offered. I giggled.

"No, no. It's nothing like that. Brantley and I are just better off having nothing to do with each other."

"Does it have something to do when you kissed at that party?" She asked. I blushed.

"I don't know how you know about this, but no, it doesn't," I shook my head at her, laughing. "Can we drop this?"

Callie raised her hands in a mock surrender.

"Okay, okay. Let's drop it. So what's up with that girl Mia?"

I fumbled over my words, wanting to change the subject as fast as possible. So, instead, I turned may attention to Rose. I had thought about our fight enough over the past seven days, and I didn't want to talk about it.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"She seems kind of...Off. I don't know. She doesn't seem like she likes me."

"Mia is an acquired taste. I'll ask her if she has some sort of problem with you."

"I don't exactly trust her."

"She's always been a pretty good friend to me," Rose said, almost defensively. She hid it with a smile. Rose slid a hand across the table, covering my own. "Give her a chance. For me?"

My heart melted a little bit. Rose had been a friend of mine for a long, long time. If she saw something good in Mia, then there had to be something good in her. I smiled at Rose in an encouraging way.

"Of course."

"How about we have a girls dinner at my place?" I suggested. "Tonight."

"I can't go," Callie spoke up. "I have to babysit. But ya'll have fun."

"Are you sure? We can reschedule."

"Nah," She said, waving off our worries. "I can come another time."

When we departed ways after our breakfast, I felt good. Really good. Maybe I had just caught Mia on a bad couple of days. And as far as the bad feeling I had about her; I didn't really know her.

I was determined to have her as a friend.

I had a couple of things for the house to pick up in town, grabbing things like groceries and things for Apollo and Grace. I had been working with Grace every day since I'd gotten her.