Chapter Ten

"Lexi, Levi, could you come down please?" I heard my mum's voice from downstairs. I put down my paintbrush, rolled my sleeves down and walked out of my door, only to bump into Levi coming out the other way.

For once he didn't say something snide, but instead, he glared at me silently. I raised my eyebrows at him, like I always did and we walked downstairs, one behind the other. We stepped into the kitchen fake smiling at each other though, and our mother looked overjoyed.

"Hello, twins! What have you been doing together lately?" Although Levi and I had been trying our hardest to look like the best of friends in front of our mum, she was still just a little wary of our relationship.

We've been doing nothing together, I thought.

"Oh, we've-" I started, and Levi continued.

"-been having a great time playing Monopoly. Haven't we, Lexi?" Levi said, in a sickeningly sweet and calm voice. I agreed, while our mother gave us a loving gaze. She was falling for these terrible lies. I mean, who just casually went and played Monopoly on a random evening?

"So, what would you guys like for your birthday?"

"A new sketch pad," I said at the same time that Levi said, "A phone."

"Well, I didn't mean that, but of course I'll get you something along those lines for your birthday," Mum said. She was so insanely nice sometimes, but yet such a sly trickster at other times. "But what kind of party or something would you like?"

"Who has little girly parties anymore, Mum?" Levi snorted.

"Not little girly ones," Mum said. "You know, the kind that teenagers always have where they mess the whole house up that their mother specifically tidied for them."

"Oh," Levi grinned. "Can I have one of them then? One for all of my friends?"

"No, of course not, Levi!" Mum said, pulling her strict face. I loved how Levi was obsessed with all the slutty badass stuff that every popular teenager wanted to do. I also loved how my mother suggested things for us to do but then didn't let us do them. Such as big house parties, which weren't the greatest ideas.

Secretly, inside, I wanted to join in and be popular as well, but I didn't want Levi to know that, otherwise he'd think I was an attention whore.

"But, you can have a party where you have the house to yourself, but I will be upstairs listening and there is no alcohol or naked bodies, got it?"

Talk about subtle.

"Sure, Mum! So, can I have one on a Friday night and invite all of my friends?" Levi asked innocently.

"Well, how about you, Lexi?"

I didn't exactly know what I wanted. I knew Levi would be even more annoyed with me if I said I wanted a party as well. And then everyone would laugh at me because I was trying to have a big bash as a loner. Yet I didn't really want anything else.

"I'm not really sure, can I have a think about it?" I asked innocently.

"Tell you what," my mum said. "Because we've only got so much time and you two, being best friends have got to have the same popular friends by now, how about you have a joint party?"

No, no, no, no, no, I thought. She definitely hadn't figured out we were two completely separate people yet. I could tell Levi was thinking the same, but he was even more annoyed about it than me.

"Oh, don't worry! It's fine, don't think it will be too much of a hassle! Two big parties will be too much for me, you know, so that's it. The Friday night of the week of your birthday? Is that okay?"