Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

            We need to talk.  We need to talk.  We need to talk.

            I frown at Elliot from across the pool.  Ever since he said those four terrible words, they're all I have thought about.  He waltzed back to his seat without another word after saying them, as though he didn't just shove a million fears down my throat.  We need to talk.  What the hell is that supposed to mean? 

            I pull my hand to my lips and start biting at my nails, even though they've already been chewed to the stub.  I have seen enough teen movies to know that 'we need to talk' is never a good thing.  It means someone is about to get dumped.  I guess I shouldn't be all that worried because Elliot and I aren't actually in a relationship.  How can he dump me when we aren't even a couple?  He can't, but he can still end whatever this is.  And though I don't want to admit it, he's going to destroy me heart if he does.  I'm new with the whole dating scene, so I'm not sure how to pick up on signs. 

            He hasn't seemed mad.  In fact, I thought the two of us were on extremely good terms.  We've kissed a few times and not once have I tried to rope him into being my boyfriend.  What more could a guy want?  I flinch as I think of all the multitude of things a guy could want.  Maybe he's tired of going out with someone with so little experience.  Maybe he wants someone prettier.  Or maybe he just wants an easy lay.  I really don't know, but I'm sick of worrying so much.  I wish he would just come over and break it off.  That way, I don't have to spend the entire meet focusing on his confusing message.

            As I glare at Elliot, I suddenly notice Alex, heading toward me with an orange gift bag.  This pool room is much more impressive than ours.  An upper stadium shadows the racing lanes and the warm down pool, filled with enough seats to fit our entire team four times.  Three different-sized diving boards sit opposite the racing blocks and tower over the perfectly transparent water.  Brightly colored lane lines bob on the water's surface, illuminated by the pool's lights.

            Alex gives me a hesitant smile as he closes the distance between us.  The majority of our team is already in the water, either warming up or cooling down in one of the pools, during a fifteen-minute intermission.  I rock back on my heels, unsure what to do with myself as he approaches.  I end up playing with my swim cap as though it's the most interesting thing in the world.

            "Finn, I am so, so sorry."  Alex says.  He has apologized to me every time we've seen each other since the terrible date.  I wish he would figure out that I really don't care anymore.

            "Don't worry about it," I say with an awkward wave of my hand. 

            He visibly swallows and thrusts the bag toward me. 

            "Umm..."  I don't know what to say.  Is he giving me a pity present for being a complete jerk on our date?

            "I'm your secret swimmer.  I know it's supposed to be a secret, but I figured I'd just give it to you."  Alex coughs and glances longingly toward the pool, as though this conversation is becoming too unbearably painful for him to manage.

            "Oh.  Thanks."  I have to resist an eye-roll.  Is it supposed to be a coincidence that Alex just happened to pick me as a swim buddy?  I can only assume Cassi had something to do with it.

            "Yeah." 

            For some reason, he keeps standing there, so I feel obliged to open the gift.  There's a large orange bottle of Gatorade, a small bag of peanut M&M's, and a chocolate energy bar.  The usual goodies for a gift exchange.  In fact, I got him the same combination, except with a package of Twizzlers, rather than M&M's.  His gift bag is already secretly tucked into his gym bag.  Because, unlike him, I actually stick with the spirit of a secret swim buddy.