Chapter 20 - Trials

You landed on North's balcony with a stumble, but continued at a run nonetheless. It was a few days since your induction, and you'd been making progress in the practice of your magic. You had just made an important discovery about your powers, while out perfecting them with Jack. Your butterfly - whom you'd named Autumn - followed you in, flapping wildly, trying to keep up with your antics. Jack floated down onto the windowsill, then hopped down, shaking his head with a crooked smile on his face.

"North! North! I'm figuring it out! I can - " But your heart leapt to your throat as you stopped mid-sentence. You came to a screeching halt, and Autumn landed on your shoulder, huffing. "Bunny?"

"Aye, little mate," he said with a smile.

You walked towards him quickly. Autumn struggled to keep balance. You wrapped your arms around him gently. "I was so worried..."

Wordlessly, he returned the hug with his uninjured arm.

"Thank you," you murmured into his fur.

"It was nothin'," he said with a chuckle. "Though I see it didn't do much." He looked you over. His green eyes meeting with yours was a welcome sight.

"Look!" you exclaimed, pulling away from him. You spread your feathered wings out for him to see. You looked over your shoulder, straining to see them.

"You look so different," he murmured.

You turned and looked up at him.

He smiled. "It's a good different."

A Yeti walked up and crossed his arms, then started grumbling at Bunny.

"Looks like someone's angry," he muttered, glancing down at me with a grin.

The Yeti pushed Bunny back towards the hospital-like room. He gave in with no fight and limped after the Yeti, who was already preparing replacement bandages. No resisting, you thought. He must be seriously tired. You followed. The Yeti was getting himself tangled in the wrap as you reached the door. You laughed lightly and took the rolls of gauze from him as he struggled out of the cloth. He grumbled and stormed back towards the hub of the workshop.

You took Bunny's arm and unwrapped the bandage, then removed the wooden splint and unrolled the rest of the cloth.

"What happened to me?" he asked. He grunted in pain as he shifted on the bed.

"Broken arm, bruised ribs, nasty gash on your leg, and awfully battered ears."

"No wonder they sting," he muttered, reaching up to touch them with his good paw.

"I'm really sorry," you murmured, starting to rewrap his arm. You scowled at the injury.

"It was worth it," he replied quietly. He put his paw underneath your chin and lifted it.

"You really scared me," you continued. "Pitch tried to kill you, the same way..."

Bunnymund dropped your chin and took your hand instead. "How did he...?"

"He used a blade of black ice," you whispered, not meeting his eyes. You were scared, and you could still feel the cold piercing through your neck. You flinched unintentionally.

He leaned towards you and his nose tickled your cheek.

"Bunny, stop," you said with a light laugh. You smiled up at him.

"Does it really bother you that much?" he asked, leaning back. He looked smug.

"No," you admitted, tucking the end of the wrap in. You finished it with a pin.