Chapter 11

"Why is a raven like a writing-desk?"
"Have you guessed the riddle yet?" the Hatter said, turning to Alice again.
"No, I give it up," Alice replied: "What's the answer?"
"I haven't the slightest idea," said the Hatter"  Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

---

Chapter Eleven

What an utter fool Isabella Cassidy was. Mary knew that Isabella was in complete denial. She could not handle the truth. Her husband had moved on from her. He had fallen in love with someone else; the person that had been there for him during his most vulnerable time.

It was perfectly natural for Mary's patients to develop loving feelings for her, seeing as she cared for them day and night. It just so happened that Captain Luke Cassidy had captured her heart in return.

Luke had been sad lately, but Mary had been confident that everything would have gone back to normal. Mary would have continued to care for him, and Isabella would have become more and more isolated from her husband. It was inevitable.

Even though Mary did not want any harm to come to Jamie; Luke dropping him had been the best thing that had ever happened for them. Just as soon as Luke was willing to be comforted, Mary was ready to support him, both emotionally and intimately.

Luke needed her.

Isabella was trying to clutch at any flicker of remaining light in her marriage. This was obvious as she had written to Doctor Harris when Mary had specifically advised her against this.

There was a rather specific reason as to why Mary did not want any contact between the Cassidys and the good doctor.

Mary knew that she was the most important part of Luke's recovery from the very beginning. He showed true trust in her. True faith. That was why Mary restricted all communication between Doctor Harris and Luke. She had informed the doctor that Luke preferred to communicate through her, and that was true. Mary had been his lifeline.

Mary had been truly shocked to learn that there was a possibility of Luke's sight being restored. That was so very rare. But Mary knew that it was not definite, and that the surgery was a great risk. Why would she risk the life of the man she loved?

What frightened her more was if she did tell Luke about the possible operation, and he elected to have it, that it would be successful. If he could see, he would no longer need a nurse. He would then return home to his wife because that was the honourable thing to do. Luke was an honourable man. He would never confess his true feelings for Mary if he did not have an excuse to keep her in his employ.

Mary had kept the truth from Luke for his own good. For their own good.

But that sneaky, manipulative Isabella had written to the doctor anyway. Isabella was so much more than a pretty face. She was conniving and manipulative, jealous and malicious, and that made her ugly.

She did not deserve Luke.

When Mary had seen that letter on the tray of post for the family, Mary had seen red. Nothing had ever made her angrier, or more afraid. So she had pinched it on her way to check on Luke. She had planned to throw it in the fire. Luke would have been none the wiser and Isabella would have simply assumed that her letter had been ignored.

It had been a great misfortune that Isabella had caught her with the letter. She behaved as though she were so superior. It was no secret below stairs that the Dawson sisters had been taken in by Matthew Cassidy because of their poor parents.

Isabella could not sack Mary. Not only did she not have any authority to, Mary would never give her the satisfaction of obeying her now that she knew the truth.