Eighteen

A/N: Hi, I'd appreciate it if you read the author's note, at the end of this chapter. Thank you!

***

You slowly turned around, trying to hide your confusion. It just didn't make any sense. The voice was familiar, yet so unexpected. "Poliakoff?" You gasped, shock evidemt in your tone. The Durmstrang boy, whom you had become close friends with, was standing there, a sincere look in his eyes.

"It was me." He said, softly. He walked towards you and you involuntarily took a step backwards. "But, why? Why me?" You asked, your back roughly hitting a wall. You quietly winced, but Poliakoff was too engrossed in what he was saying. "I noticed you. When you were eating in the Great Hall, at the challenges, the Yule Ball. Yet you never noticed me." He replied, grabbing your hand and causing you to immediately tense up. You snatched it away and forced yourself to look at him.

"When we became friends, it just intensified my, already strong, feelings for you." He continued, seemingly oblivious to your discomfort. "Please, just stop." You told him, trying to push him away from you. "Give me a chance, that's all I want." He pleaded, his voice cracking slightly. You opened your mouth, trying to form coherent words, but it didn't work; you were speechless.

You looked around, desperately wanting to get away from Poliakoff. Yet he was vedy close to you, trapping you and there was no other visible way to escape. Your wand was in your pocket, but Poliakoff held down your arms, interlocking his fingers with yours. Unlike when Fred had held your hand, it didn't feel right, as though they did not fit together. You tried as hard as you could to get free, but your efforts weren't working and wasring your energy.

***

"What's happening here?" Somebody asked. Fred appeared from behind a pillar, however he wasn't smiling and looked fierce. Poliakoff glared at him, still standing too close to you. "Y/N/N and I were just talking." He scowled, putting emphasis on your nickname, which only Fred had used. You glanced at Fred, to see if he reacted, but he just continued to glower at Poliakoff. "That doesn't seem to be all you're doing, Poliakoff. Move away from her." He responded, coldly. Poliakoff ignored Fred, still focused on you. He walked closer and Poliakoff become more nervous, brandishing his wand at his side. You noticed that Fred also had his wand, which you knew he would not hesitate to use.

"I do believe that you've done something wrong, haven't you?" Fred asked, not showing a hint of emotion. "W-why do you think that?" The Durmstrang boy replied. "See, I know what you did. You took credit for something that wasn't yours. Am I correct?" Fred told him, lazily, sounding almost bored with the conversation. "Yes, okay, I didn't write the notes. This was the only way I could've expressed my feelings to you, Y/N! I wasn't lying about those, please forgive me!" Poliakoff begged, tugging at your sleeve. You shook him off and stood next to Fred, who protectively wrapped his arm around you.

Poliakoff, sensing he had been beaten, huffed loudly and ran off, turning round a corner and out of sight.

Once his footsteps had faded, you faced Fred. "I could've handled him by myself, you know." You told him, crossing your arms. You weren't angry though, not at all. "Because you were doing such a great job without me. I'll remember that, next time you need help." He teased.

"Although, it is kind of strange, how you knew what was happening. The only person who saw the first note was Hermione and nobody saw the second note, apart from Poliakoff, somehow." You realised, looking at Fred and waiting for a satisfactory answer.

There was a long pause, before Fred cleared his throat and began to speak. "Okay, fine. I was at the owlery, early this morning and saw Poliakoff messing around with your owl. He opened your letter and left it on the ground. I read it, curious about what was so important, then I resealed it." He explained, looking down at the ground and not meeting your firm gaze,  like you had wanted him to. "Oh, well, I guess my secret admirer isn't going to show up, then." You sighed, pulling out the letter.

You spun around, knowing that lessons would be starting soon. And you needed to distract yourself from all that had happened. Perhaps you'd talk more with Fred later. But for now, you needed to think things through.

***

A/N: Sorry, I know this isn't that good, but it was quite difficult to write. Only a couple more chapters left, I think, maybe one...

I also have a request for you guys, even though I don't know how many of you actually read my author's notes. Now, I'm so grateful for every single vote, comment and read and so glad that people actually enhoy my writing. But, I'm having a very hard time right now, meaning I cannot dedicate myself to my writing, because of my moods. So, please can you not leave comments, which ask me to update?