All the World's A Blur

I swayed a bit and rested my hand on the kitchen counter to steady myself. Ugh. My stomach felt like it was twisting over and over again.

"Mum, I'm taking a painkiller. My stomach hurts." I wrinkled my nose.

My mom looked up from the couch. "Sure hon. Second drawer on the right." She stopped and looked at me again. "...Are you not feeling well?"

I stared at her, trying to send her a message with my eyes. My brother was sitting in the room on his laptop. "Eh..."
My mom nodded. "Go ahead."

I slipped a tablet into my hand and grabbed a glass of water. Finding a seat on the dining table--Iqra! Don't sit on the table. Use a chair.--I gulped down the pill and made a face. Pills tasted so gross.

I spun in a circle, lazily making my way over to Dawud like a helicopter.

"Dawud bhaiyya."

"Hmm."

"Bhaiyya."

"Mmm."

"Bhaiyya!"

He scowled. "What?"

"You have to drop me off at the community center in thirty minutes."

He groaned. "Good Lord."

My mother looked up. "Dawud, take Iqra there please. Listen to your sister."

I leaned against the couch, putting all my weight on my hands on top of the couch arm. "Yeah. Listen to me."

"Fine. I'm coming." He clicked his tongue. "Go put on your scarf. I'll get my shoes."

"Now?"

"Yes."

Darn it. I'll be early. I wanted to take a nap...Eh. I'll go. Better early than not at all.

I dragged my feet up to my room and collapsed on the bed. Darn being a frikkin' female sometimes. I rolled around under my covers before hearing my brother coming up the stairs. I pushed my covers off and slid my body off the bed until I fell to the floor. Meh. Time to act normal again.

I wrapped a scarf around my hair and wiped my bleary eyes. If I die early, it'll be Yousuf's fault for making me come to the play today. Even though he ain't forcing me. I pushed away the thoughts. It's his fault. I'm allowed to be irrational today.

Twenty minutes later, I watched the short building appear as we drew closer to it. My head was against the window. I blinked and got out when the car stopped. Dawud said he'd pick me up at 6:30. Four hours from now. Four hours from sleep. Okay then.

I stumbled to the door and pulled it open, the cold air hitting me immediately. Why were places so darn cold inside? I needed warmth. And a bed. And...I wanted to curl up and die. That's it.

Or live under a rock for a while.

I sat on one of the benches outside the theater, kicking my legs and wishing I was anywhere but here. My eyes drooped. I wonder why I'm--

"Hey Shortcake."

Someone bopped me on the head and I turned around, my hand rubbing the top of my head. "Hmm?" I scowled when I saw who it was. "Hello twerp."

Yousuf sat down on the other bench next to mine and stretched his legs over the entire seat, tapping his feet against the armrest. "Why so mad?"

I crossed my arms. "Some fool woke me up early today."

"Are you still mad over that? Come on, Iqra. Get over it. It was noon, almost. How long did you plan on sleeping?"

"As long as I could."