four

the blonde hadn't even read one book to help him prepare for next period's test.

he had told the thunderbirds that he was going to the library to at least read a few pages of some textbooks, to which they all just laughed.

not that it surprised luke.

he made his way to the main hall of the library, walking up to the shelf that had all the textbooks displayed on it.

he removed three, leaving him with a gap that allowed him to see the otherside.

and even a very concentrated dirty blonde that was sitting behind the shelf, too.

luke rapidly set the books back, and rushed around to go up to the small boy who was in the corner of the library, reading his life away.

he walked up. "hey, ashton, right?" he lied. he knew perfectly well what the boy's name was.

ashton glanced up, his breath hitching when seeing luke standing in front of him.

he rapidly pushed up his glasses, and set his book down on the table, giving his full undivided attention to the towering blonde.

"mind if i join you?"

the copper haired boy responded with a vigorous nod. luke chuckled at that, before pulling a chair, and sitting beside ashton.

a few seconds of silence lingered, ashton biting his lip, trying his best to aviod eye contact, and luke trying his best to think of a topic conversation.

"so, uh, what're you reading?"

ashton perked up, turning his neck to look over at the book.

"oh, the outsiders." [a/n: the outsiders didn't even exist in the 50s lmao]

luke nodded along.

"h- have you read it before?" ashton stuttered, quietly.

"nope. but i've watched the movie."

"who's your favourite character?"

and that's how the conversation between the two began.

the topic changed rather fast. one second they were talking about the book, then movies, then bands and even family life.

the blonde gazed at ashton with a fond look, watching him tell him anecdotes and little stories with such excitment in his voice.

it was new seeing shy boy ashton, be open and talking very confidently about something. and luke found it incredibly endearing.

so endearing, in fact, that he found himself starting to zone out, and start to admire the curly haired halfway through his speech.

luke's chin was being supported by his palm, and elbow on the table, a huge grin on his face, as ashton continued to ramble on about a movie he watched based on a book that was better.

but because of the blonde's trip to dreamland, he didn't realise when ashton had finished.

the smaller of the two giggled, looking down to hide his blush when noticing luke was still staring with bright eyes.

"luke?"

a hand waved in front of his face, and he jumped up, snapping back into reality.

ashton let out another squeak as a laugh, luke pretending to fix his hair to play off what had just happened.

the chuckles died down, and ashton decided to ask one more question to the tall teen.

"if you don't mind me asking."

luke focused on the boy speaking once more.

"why are you talking to me? i mean, i thought thunderbirds don't talk to people like me."

ashton's voice faltered, trying his best not to gaze into luke's blue eyes, because those always threw him off.

luke frowned. ashton seemed so upset, and that upset him too.

he moved one of the boy's hands away from his lap, and set it down on the wooden table, placing his pale one over it.

ashton's hazel eyes watched luke in confusion, before luke rested a hand under his chin, turning his face to make their eyes meet.

the shorter boy tried to control his blushes, considering luke was looking directly at him, meaning he would notice the colour change.

"ashton, you are perfect, and if anyone ever tells you otherwise, they're just idiots thay can't admire perfection when they see it."

luke sent another one of his warm smiles, and ashton was sure he forgot how to breath.

however the moment was snapped in half, when luke heard a cluster of laughs.

he quickly scanned his surroundings, seeing the thunderbirds entering the library, michael leading the pack.

luke let out a loud, panicked sigh. he looked over at ashton, letting go of his hand to get up from the chair.

"i'll see you around, yeah?" he rushed out.

ashton nodded in agreement, cheeks still stained.

the blonde sent a wink his way, before walking away, and out of the library, making sure the thunderbirds didn't see him.

▲▼▲

luke didn't even end up revising for his text, that twat