o n c e

trigger warning ; anxiety ticks

"when are your friends getting here?" dan howell whispered anxiously, glancing at the three empty seats at the round table. "don't worry beloved, they'll be here soon, and i'm sure they'll love you almost as much as i do," phil lester said, giggling. dan blushed at the pet name and reverted his gaze to the door. only a minute later, three people came in, all laughing in happy conversation. the girl of the group smiled warmly at him and phil and tugged the other two boys along with her. "hello phil!" she said. dan thought she was familiar, and he noticed it was the pink and blonde haired girl he saw smiling at phil his first day. he looked to the boys and recognized one of them as the curly haired boy he saw sitting next to the girl. phil smiled at her. "hey louise."

"i guess some introductions are in order," phil stated, and it wasn't awkward, despite how awkward it could've been. dan's leg bounced under the table, but it stopped when phil grabbed his hand, intertwining their fingers. he smiled at phil gratefully. "so, louise, chris, pj, this dan," phil said, pointing to dan with his free hand. "and dan, this is louise, chris and peej," he recapped, pointing to each person in turn. "lovely to meet you!" louise exclaimed brightly, and dan was happy to feel like she was being genuine. it eased his feelings.

"and, uh," phil looked at dan quickly. his eyes asked a question, and dan nodded discretely. "dan's my boyfriend," phil said pridefully. dan kissed him on the cheek. "good job mate," chris congratulated the couple. pj nodded in agreement. "you both are so cute together!" louise squealed, and everyone laughed. dan smiled proudly. he was so happy and he hoped his dad was right; he didn't want to move from here.

/|\

"i had a wonderful time," louise said sweetly, pecking dan on the cheek. "it was truly a pleasure to meet you," she said. she then turned to phil. "bring him to the lunch table, yeah?" phil nodded quickly, beaming. "it was awesome to meet you dan," pj said. "yeah, we'll see you around," chris smiled crookedly and waved the boys off. dan and phil headed the opposite way from louise, pj and chris. "yours or mine?" phil asked. "well my parents are home, so unless you'd like to meet them.." dan trailed off. phil nodded. "i'd love to! this is, if you'd like me to." dan nodded slowyl and the two walked back to phil's house to grab dan's backpack and clothes from the day before. after saying farewell to phil's mum, they jumped into phil's car.

when they got to dan's house, phil didn't get out of the car. "uhm, ph-phil? you coming?" dan asked carefully. "i just have a few questions before we go in," phil stated, and dan nodded. "one; do your parents know you're gay, and are they homophobic?" he questioned. "isn't that two questions?" dan giggled. he could tell phil tried to stay serious, but he laughed too. "yeah, i guess so," he replied. "well, yes they know i'm gay, and thankfully they aren't homophobic," dan answered. phil nodded. "okay, do they know about.. you know.." he gained eye contact with him, and dan could tell he didn't want to say his name. "ethan?" phil nodded hesitantly. "yeah," dan sighed heavily. he didn't know how his dad would react to another boyfriend, but he hoped he wouldn't make a scene. "is that all?" he asked. phil nodded and got out of the car. dan took a deep breath, attempting to prepare himself for what would come. he then joined phil and took hold of his hand. it seemed the two were always holding hands, but dan liked it. it helped to calm his anxiety.

dan opened the door slowly, as he knew it'd be unlocked. "mum? dad?" he called, motioning for phil to step inside. phil carefully closed the door behind him. "in here dear!" dan's mum called, and dan thought it was from the kitchen. he walked into the kitchen, knowing phil was trailing him. he cleared his throat and both of his parents looked up. dan's mum smiled warmly, but his dad looked a tad confused. "uhm, mum, dad, i'd like you to meet phil," he said awkwardly. "and uh.. he's my boyfriend," he continued, looking down at the kitchen tiles. "hello!" phil piped. "it's lovely to meet you mr. and mrs. howell," he said. dan could tell his mother had taken to phil right away.

"wonderful to meet you as well, phil. we've heard so much about you," dan's mum gushed, giving phil a bone-crushing hug. phil laughed as dan groaned. "mum!" he whined. "oh sorry dear," dan's mum let go of phil. dan's father was still standing in the corner, looking suspiciously at phil. he came up to phil, and phil stuck out a hand for him to shake. mr. howell took it and shook phil's hand roughly. "what are your intentions with my boy?" he grunted, and dan frowned but phil didn't skip a beat. "i plan on making him feel happy and safe for as long as he allows me to," he said, grinning in dan's direction. dan's face turned a beat red. dan's father seemed impressed with phil's answer. "you better do so," he threatened, but there was a joking tone in his voice. phil must've heard it too, because his smile grew. "of course, sir," he replied.

"dan, honey, will you two be staying for dinner?" mrs. howell asked. dan looked at phil who nodded. "sure mum," he responded. "alright. in the mean time, why don't you both go up to your room and work on that project?" she suggested. dan nodded. "and keep that door open!" his dad called up the stairs after them. "dad!" dan moaned, but phil laughed. "just do as i say!" his dad yelled back jokingly, and dan rolled his eyes. he loved his dysfunctional family.

< a/ n >

word count ; 1010