Chapter 18

Be sure to comment and vote if you enjoy the story. It really does encourage me to keep writing for you guys! <3

King Cedric's booming "good morning" startles me out of sleep

King Cedric's booming "good morning" startles me out of sleep. I wonder briefly if it's actually the morning and how he knows, but my thoughts soon turn to Alec, who's still sleeping beside me. For a horrible moment I think I dreamed that he woke up, but then he stirs and I'm able to breathe again.

Cedric whistles. "He lives!"

I smile widely and place a hand on Alec's back to help him sit up. I notice that he looks a little green.

Cedric steps forward and places a pot of water in Alec's hands. He gulps all of it down in seconds. "I've heard so much about you, Alec," the king tells him. Alec sets the pot to the side, looking a bit better already. "Edlyn never shut up about you." My cheeks burn and I look down at my hands, pretending to examine my nail.

"Your majesty," Alec says formally, standing with difficulty and bowing to him. The king towers over him, a huge mass of muscle. Even Alec has to crane his neck back a bit to look Cedric in the face, although not as much as I do. "It's an honor to meet you. The people of the leaves speak positively of you."

Cedric smiles at this. "I'm glad," he says. They fall into an uncomfortable silence.

"Your majesty, Alec is probably starving," I say, hoping to break the awkward silence. Cedric claps his hands together.

"Yes, of course. Well, Alec, we may have run into a bit of a problem there." He scratches the back of his neck. "I know that, as a person of the leaf, that you don't consume meat. But that's all we have to offer you." Alec's jaw tightens, but he seems to be expecting this.

"We only need to speak to your Seer and then we'll be on our way," Alec says. I frown at him, but he ignores me. He can barely walk. If we leave now, he won't make it.

"We're not leaving until you're healed," I say firmly, but both men brush me off.

Cedric folds his arms over his chest. "Our Seer is currently visiting the Sky Islands. What do you need him for?"

Alec groans, pinching the bridge of his nose between his thumb and pointer finger. His shoulders are tense with stress.

"Sky Islands?" I ask, but again, no reply.

"I wanted to know more about the legend of the White Witch," Alec explains. He rakes a hand through his hair. "Details, how to beat Anabella. Edlyn can't even control her powers, much less defeat her." He subconsciously touches the spot on his arm where I burnt him. It seems like so long ago—the wound is healed now, but a faint scar is visible.

"There's a stone tablet in the heart of the volcano. It's the origin of the legend, but it's hard to understand." Cedric strokes the side of his face, deep in thought. "I can take you there, if you'd like."