CHAPTER 4 - HISTORY

CHAPTER – 4

History 

MIA COLLINS

I widen my eyes and stand surprised to see the bloody face. There are two of them drowning in blood right in front of my eyes. The Chevrolet is seriously out of shape and I can understand how badly it has crashed the Audi. Tears have already filled my weary eyes. A girl from the crowd thrusts my shoulder and asks, 

"You know 'em?" Well, I know the guy there but not the other girl who really seems to be injured like shit. 

"Well, yeah I know him." How can I not know him? I just spoke to him a few minutes before in the party. He's lying here in blood and I am standing like a spectator. 

'You're letting him die? Do something!' cries my inner voice and I immediately pull out my phone from my jacket. 

But, whom should I call? I have my own car to take them, right? So, I ask a few men to help me carry them to my car. Two men volunteered and they took both of them to my car. I know that my car is going to be a bloodied mess but life is more important than the sanity of a car. 

And, how can I leave him there alone and watch him die?

He's still conscious. Once he's inside the car he mutters something that's barely audible to me. I think he's really not well. The girl is already unconscious. She's perfectly still without movements. 'Is she already dead?' asks my psyche but I soon rub away the thought. She's placed on the floor of the car behind and he's placed on the seat. I make sure I open the windows so there's plenty of air to enter. I put my keys to the ignition and pull off.

Thank God, my dad is a surgeon! I can take them to the hospital where he works. He's really a busy man or rather the busiest man I've ever seen because he has so much pressure and more over surgery takes a lot of time and patience. I am so proud of my father for the kind service he offers to the suffering people. He doesn't frown if he has to work all night in the hospital because he considers his duty to be something next to God.

I quickly pull out my phone from the jacket and call my dad. Luckily he picks up the phone and I'm sure he's not dealing with a surgery now and I can bring them to him.

"Hey, dear! How was your party?"

"Dad! I need your help! I have two people with me and one of them is my friend. They're seriously injured. I'm bringing them to the hospital. Please make the necessary arrangements! Quick dad! Save them!" I say him without stopping and giving him a chance to show his surprise. Now, I'm crying like a little baby who just lost her puppy. 

"What? Well, I'll make the arrangements. Please drive carefully!" he sounds amazed without losing his confident voice. 

"And... I can understand, but don't cry, honey. I'll do my best." He says but how can I control my emotions? It's him and he's dying! My dad is the one who always gives me the courage to do anything and everything. I know my dad won't ruin my hopes but what if.... No, I shouldn't be thinking too much. I should just pray and hope for the best. I know I won't lose him. Poor girl. She's a stranger but I should be praying for her as well. I hope she's not already dead. She's probably unconscious I tell myself to be satisfied but then..... I can't stay stable. I just can't. My hands are stained in blood.

After a while I can still hear him muttering. I try to listen to him but I should concentrate on driving and reaching the hospital on time. But, I can't ignore him. I finally make out what he said. He said, 

"Mia....." Oh, poor boy! This shouldn't be happening to him. I cry even harder this time and I know I'm sick. My happy night has turned into a nightmare now. I finally reach the hospital that's very close to where I live but really far from the partying area. I rush out of the car when the nurses come out with a stretcher and take both of them from the car. He's not awake anymore. I can't imagine him in pain. It makes me cringe. It makes me sick. And I'm left with no option but cry.

I can't see dad. He's already inside the surgery room and I can't imagine what's happening inside. I immediately call Adam and inform him about the accident. I cry like never before. "WHAT? I'll be there." Is all he says and I hang up before he could say something more. It's James Edwards. My James Edwards. I can't imagine him bleeding and suffering. NO!

James is my first crush. He's the first guy to get my attention. I've known him ever since I made friends with Emma and Adam. Well, I shifted here in California two years ago for some reasons that my parents hid from me. I joined Hayward High School as a freshman and soon found Emma Evans. She's really sweet. It was then I found Adam. Adam was really a good guy and a brilliant friend. In fact Emma and Adam are my best friends. Though I get to talk to Adam on a rare basis, he has managed to be a good friend of mine by being a real crazy guy. It was in my sophomore year that I found James Edwards. He was a popular guy then and even now as a football player. Ever since I got to know him, things had changed and I developed feelings for him.

I didn't know what it meant. I first got the chance to converse with him when he was partnered with me in the Biology class. I didn't know him before but surprisingly he knew me for everyone in our class knew the list of nerds and I was one among them. Ridiculous! When exams approached there used to be a couple of people who used to come to me for help and I used to help them.

It was my first Biology class and I was asked to sit with James. 

"Hello Mia!" He said and I was surprised he knew my name before I could introduce myself to him. His beautiful face still keeps haunting me in my dreams. His beautiful brown eyes looked straight at mine and his lips curled to a pleasant smile. His brown messy and wavy hair was pulled up to form spikes. I always disliked those boys with gel and weird hairstyles but surprisingly his hairs were adorable to me. His almond eyes twinkled and his perfect jaw line gave me electric shocks. 

"Hi...." I trailed off and sat next to him. I used my wavy brown hairs as a screen to avoid looking at his face but unfortunately they were only shoulder-length so that didn't help me from looking at him sideways. As a nerd, I never used to give space for distractions but his presence annoyed me at the first instance itself. I've spoken to so many boys but none of them gave me this effect. He was so much taller than me even when he was sitting and this really made me sick about how tiny I was. I am only 5' 2'' but he might be 6 or more. 'God! Tell me why you didn't give me enough growth hormones?' I complained secretly. 

As I was writing my notes he slowly leaned and whispered, 

"I am James Edwards." 

Wow! His voice was so cute yet manly. I thought I gave him a pleasant smile but I knew I blushed. 'Oh, don't be a pervert!' I know my psyche would have advised me but I couldn't help blushing. His lean frame was a few inches from me and suddenly the separation grew less. We were really close and that made my heart pound.

I wondered why he came so close and I found that he actually shifted to copy my notes because he didn't follow the teacher when it was explained. The class ended and I could make out so much difference in my behavior. I wasn't stable, I wasn't concentrating and James was responsible for that. But, why did this happen? 

The moment I heard his voice, I shivered.

 "Mia, can I have your notes for a day? I want to refer your notes because it's so well written and so much easier for me to follow. Would you mind?" he asked with a charming smile and his eyebrows rose. 

His beautiful hairs danced as the wind blew. The hairs that covered a little part of his broad forehead fluttered and revealed a few pimples that had erupted. But, he still looked handsome with his flaws and radiated electricity through my spine. This was my first.

"Sure" I blurted out before I could even think. 

I usually don't rent my books to anyone. This surprised me. Why am I out of my mind? I questioned myself and I didn't know the answer. Next morning James was my first thought and the last. Soon, he showed up in my dreams and even in my life very often. I helped with his studies and basically in Biology. I was really having a good time with him. Sometimes when our fingers brushed against each other or when he held my arms, I had those intense electric shocks that had its effect for many days. And why did I feel like that?