Chapter 41

Content Warning: Slight mature content

Ramlah

"Cabin crew get ready for take-off" announced the Turkish Airlines pilot.

Butterflies fluttered in my stomach when the plane picked up speed and started to ascend into the air. Mesmerized at the scenic view of Dublin and its suburbs, I was oblivious to the baby in my arms or my husband beside me. I continued to gape at the window until we were in clouds and only then I turned to Fadil. He was smirking.

I flushed, "I ...I ..." I lowered my lashes and then murmured, "It had been ages since I left Ireland. The last time I went to Pakistan was when I was ten years old."

His fingers interlaced with mine and his strong hold on my hand made me look at him, "Well then its good we made this plan. And inshaa Allah I will try my best to take you for a holiday at least once a year." He said reassuringly.

Unable to tear my eyes from his, I whispered, "Why do you do this?"

His eyebrows knotted, "Do what?"

"Try your best to make me happy. I really don't want to trouble you."

He leaned forward and lightly rubbed his nose with mine and then whispered in my hijab clad ear, "Because I love you."

I truly felt blessed then. My shaky other hand cupped his bearded cheek, "I pray to Allah that I can make you happy and pleased with me for the rest of our lives."

"Inshaa Allah you will. Just be yourself Ramlah and I am happy." Lifting our entwined hands, he kissed my fingers.

Before I could respond, Ejaz started making a fuss and his whimpers grew louder by the second. Fadil released my hand and wrapped his hands around Ejaz and seated him on his lap.

"Someone wants attention. Is it?" Fadil questioned the annoyed baby.

"He may like this." the air hostess said, handing out a Turkish airlines teddy bear.

Happily grabbing it from the air hostess, Ejaz quietened.

I thanked the air hostess. Ejaz cuddled the teddy bear in his hands.

"We have one smart baby. He knows what he wants." Fadil nudged me.

Sliding my arm through his arm and resting my head on his shoulder, I mumbled sleepily, "We sure do." Before closing my eyes for a nap.

****

"Fadil the view is breath taking. And the room Wow. What do I say?" I exclaimed walking up to him and hugging him tightly when the bell boy had left the room after placing our luggage in the room.

The room was on the 12th floor. It was a spacious room with a king size bed and a baby cot was set up for Ejaz. A flat screen television was mounted opposite the bed. There were sofas and coffee table set by the window. There was also a desk and a mirror set up against the wall near the television. All in all, it was a very comfortable room. Ejaz was still happily playing with his teddy bear sitting on the baby cot.

Fadil softly chuckled, "I am glad. But we are not staying here long right now. I want us to go out now and start our sightseeing."

I lifted my head from his chest and pouted, "At least let me enjoy the view."

He rubbed his thumb over my bottom lip, "Okay only for a little while."

I drew back from him and excitedly rushed to the large window that was across one whole wall. The grand Bosphorus Sea's scenic view was enthralling. The dark waters had many ships of all sizes sailing over it. The sea divided the city in two continents. Istanbul is the only city that is laid between two continents - Asia and Europe. The stark contrast of the city's ancient history, Islamic culture and modern way of life was easily noticeable. If there were large mosques with numerous minarets gracing the cityscape, there were metal and glass skyscrapers proudly standing tall in the middle of the city and not to forget the countless traditional homes sprawled across the city were visible.