Chapter Nine

This is going to actually be the last update for a while. Due to a request, here's another chapter. Good luck to ValentinaLuu on your math test and to the rest of y'all on your homework, quizzes, tests, or even just getting through the week. I love y'all <3

We were now downstairs. Sage had dragged me back to the room he said would be mine, although by his current mood, I did not think it would remain that way for much longer.

He paced across the floor, his boots thumping against the ground. I sat on the edge of the bed, watching him. It had been this way for several minutes, and I wondered if it would remain so for hours more.

"I told you." The silence was pierced by those three words, shattering like broken glass. His voice was firm, anger stirring beneath the thin layer of calmness.

"I told you I would take care of my part of our deal," he added, his volume beginning to rise. "Yet, you ignored me! Do you now see why you cannot challenge him? Would you prefer to be in the place of the furniture?" He snapped, finally halting in his movement, his eyes on me.

"I'm not at fault for the King's anger!" I snapped back, standing up. I would not sit here and allow him to scold me like a spoiled child.

"What your King needs is to leave that area! Do you not think that could be the reason for his anger at everything? He lives up there all alone, trapped like a domesticated wolf! If you attempt to keep a wild animal locked up in your house, it will eventually turn against you," I replied, my own anger slipping through.

People continuously attempted to tame wild animals, desiring exotic pets. However, when these animals began showing signs of their instinctual natures, their true selves, humans no longer wanted anything to do with them. They would feign disgust at the animal, perhaps have it put down for its "inhumane" nature.

"You cannot expect him to live up there in solitude and not change. If he is as animal-like as you say, he needs more freedom. The space in which he resides is much too small for him. Any animal would be in distress living the way he does," I said, much softer.

I looked at Todd, who had found the dresser. One of its drawers had been slightly open, thus it became an invitation to him. He was now curled inside, fast asleep. I could only imagine how stir-crazy my little one would be if he did not have the forest to run in.

"He prefers it that way, Rowan; it is not us who sent him up there. He does not want to be around so many people when he has the opportunity to hurt them," Sage explained, sighing. It seemed his anger had also evaporated.

"It does not matter, Sage. This is one way you can help him." I paused, walking past him as I opened the door and peered outside.

The hall was almost empty, save a couple of guards and a servant. For a castle as big as this one, the hall should be filled with more people.

"Are there many guards and servants left?" I asked Sage, closing the door and turning back to him.

He studied me, wondering where this was going. When he couldn't figure it out on his own, he answered: "There are not many left. They feared for their lives or their families after an incident."

I opened my mouth but decided it was best to close it. I did not think asking him what the incident was would be a very good idea. I might end up joining those who left if I found out.

"Send the remaining into town. Allow them to visit their families for a few days; I do not care what you do with them. When the castle is empty, you can take him outside into the nearby forest. This way, he does not have the chance for another incident to occur," I explained, but Sage frowned.