Chapter 9: Fury

*WARNING : Contains 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Spoilers!

I sat beside his bed. Steve was standing away from us and Nat was beside his body, her hand on his head. They were speaking in hushed tones but I couldn't hear a word they were saying, my head was buzzing with memories. Fury was like a father to me. I remembered him finding me. I was scared and alone, wandering the streets, knowing that everyone saw me as a freak. I hadn't worked out how to turn my electricity off, so everything I touched was electrocuted. I had to get away, to hide myself from the world. The only memory I had was of Agent Frollo, I remembered him attacking me time and time again, electrocuting me, treating me like I was nothing. I had no memories before that, I didn't know who I was, where I was from or where I should be going. This was the worst memory I had, worse than being in Frollo's hands and being attacked. At least then I knew what my purpose was.

Fury found me. He approached me slowly, telling me not to be afraid. I didn't know whether I should trust him or not, but I had to trust someone, I had to allow myself to be saved. So I let him take me in. I got in his car and closed my eyes. I didn't want to know where he was taking me, not that it would make a difference, I didn't know where we were anyway. He pulled up outside a building (What I know now to be S.H.I.E.L.D HQ) and told me to get out, being careful not to touch me. As I walked in, I expected everyone to look at me like I was a freak, like they wanted to experiment on me. Instead, people barely noticed I was there. Apart from one girl. She was a red head and she looked young. Older than me but still young. She asked Fury who I was, and he said he didn't know. I said I didn't know. And immediately she took my under her wing. At this time, before I was Rogue, I was called 'The mind control girl', because once I learned how to do it, this was the power of mine that people were most impressed with. I stuck close with Fury as he taught me how to channel my emotions, how to turn my powers on and off. He taught me how to be good, how to use my powers for good. And that was something that I'd never forget, for as long as I lived. How to be good.

"Rogue, come on, we need to go," Steve said.

"I want to stay," I said through tears.

"We need to tell you something, and it would be better if we didn't tell you here," he replied. Reluctantly, I agreed and followed them outside.

***

"I knew you were doing a secret mission!" I hissed angrily.

"Where did Captain America learn how to steal a car?" Nat asked Steve, completely ignoring me.

"Nazi Germany. And we're not stealing, we're borrowing. Take your feet off the dash," he said, also ignoring me.

"Guys, how could you not tell anyone? This is a big deal! S.H.I.E.L.D-" Steve cut me off.

"S.H.I.E.L.D and HYDRA are one and the same, we have to take them both down," he said, his eyes focused on the road.

"We can't do that alone!" I said, worried about what they had gotten me into.

"Don't worry, we know someone who can help," Nat said with a glance at Steve.

"Who?" I asked curiously, to which neither of them replied.

We pulled up outside a house 20 minutes later, I still had no idea who we were enlisting. I followed them as Steve knocked on the door.

"Sam, we need help," he said to the man who answered.

"Come in," he said, holding the door open. As I walked past him he touched my arm, stopping me. "Hazel?" he asked, shocked.

"Um, I think you're thinking of someone else, I'm Rogue," I said, raising an eyebrow at Steve and Nat.

"Oh, um, sorry," he said, shaking his head. I smiled awkwardly as he led us into his living room while Steve explained our situation.

"I can help," he said, dropping a file in front of us. Nat picked it up first.

"You didn't say he was a para-rescue," she said to Steve. I took the file from her and glanced at it, the name 'Falcon' at the top. I looked at the picture of the guy, Sam, wearing wings. It was instantly recognisable.

"Wait a minute, you're Falcon?" I asked him, passing the file to Steve.

"You know me?" he asked.

"S.H.I.E.L.D knows you, you've been on their files for years. No one knew who you were," I told him.

"I thought you said you were a pilot?" Steve asked Sam. I couldn't tell whether he was annoyed at being deceived or happy that we had another person in our mission to take down HYDRA.

"I never said a pilot," he said.

"I can't ask you to do this Sam, you got out for a good reason," Steve said with a sigh.

"Dude, Captain America needs my help. There's no better reason to get back in," Sam said.

"Sam..." Steve trailed off.

"Steve, we need the help, you know that the three of us can't do this alone. We have to take down HYDRA, and we need Falcon to do it," Nat said softly.

Steve looked at me. "You know she's right," I said with a smile. I thought about Fury, he would have said the same thing – and he would definitely have told us to enlist Falcon. Nat was right, we needed him.

***

"Jasper Sitwell? You work for HYDRA?" I asked incredulously. Steve, Nat and Falcon brought him back when they went to get Falcon a suit. I knew Sitwell well, or at least, I thought I did.

"I work for Alexander Pierce. I'm sorry about Fury," he said. I turned away from him angrily, he had betrayed us.

"Can you drive?" Steve asked me.

"Sure," I said, sliding into the driver's seat.

"Left," Steve said, indicating which way to turn.

"What's that?" I said, spotting something in the rear-view mirror. Or rather, someone.

"Shit!" Falcon shouted as someone jumped on the roof, pulling Sitwell out of the car and into oncoming traffic.

"Is he dead?" Steve asked as the guy began shooting at the car.

"Looks that way," Falcon said, shooting at the man.

"Who is he? What's going on?" I asked, struggling to keep control of the car.

"The Winter Soldier," Nat replied.

****************************************

Thanks for reading!

Who is the Winter Soldier?  What's his plan? What's going to happen next? Find out in Chapter 10, up next Saturday!

Please vote and comment!